Acceleration problem

John01

Cadet
Why does my 98 gtx rfi act sluggish to get up on plane and only tops out at 45 where it would get 67 in a matter of seconds before I tried to pull someone on skis

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: Acceleration problem

Why does my 98 gtx rfi act sluggish to get up on plane and only tops out at 45 where it would get 67 in a matter of seconds before I tried to pull someone on skis

John, when was the last time you changed spark plugs? Check the pump area, intake grate, and impeller for anything wrapped up in there. also, not sure about the pump set-up on the 98's, but how does the wear ring around the impeller look. Smooth or warn w/ cuts & gouges?. Good luck !!! Hopefully the resident experts on here will chime in.

John01

Cadet

The space between the impeller ans wear ring is around 1/8" besides that the impeller has a few bers but nothing serious. The jet ski only has 40.3 hours so everything seems to be in good shape. I was pulling someone up on skis and the engine started cutting out a little so I stopped. After that it started what I mentioned before. I'm just trying to figure out the problem before I take it to the shop. Don't want to end up spending a couple grand on things that didn't need fixing. I put new plugs in and still the same, revs. Go to 7100 and tops out at 45mph.also, nothing is around the shaft, in the grate or clogging the pump.

Last edited:

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go to 7100 and tops out at 45mph.also, nothing is around the shaft, in the grate or clogging the pump.

you have a propulsion issue. Its cutting out because its overheating. Does the beeping sound happen? DOes it beep when landyard is installed?

Pull the pump off and inspect behind it. Nothing to removing it but a few nuts/bolts.

John01

Cadet

No it's not overheating that I'm aware of. Two short beeps when lanyard is attached and that's it. No other beeps or warning lights to signal overheating. Over all performance is fine just slow to get on plane and tops out at 45 now . No vibration or odd noises or warning beeps or lights.

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Over all performance is fine just slow to get on plane and tops out at 45 now .

Thats because its cavitating. The pump is not creating "thrust". The water is going "around" the impellor, not "through"...need to pull the pump, bud.

John01

Cadet

Gonna pull the pump in a few hours and see if anything can be found. Does anyone know how much space is supposed to be in between the wear ring and impeller? And thanks for all the help everyone.

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1mm...if you see "light" around impellor, its too much tolerence.

John01

Cadet

I've got an 1/8 to 3/16 gap all the way around the impeller . I guess that's part of my problem. Thanks for all the help.

John01

Cadet

Finally got a chance to work on the sea doo. Pulled the impeller housing off and was missing almost half of the rubber gasket. Nothing else seems to be amiss. Could this be the only problem or should I continue to tear down more?

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

not sure what you mean? Rubber gasket, as in, the hard material "ring" that is around the impellor? If so, yup, you found the problem...good job.

John01

Cadet

Yes it was a hard white material around the inside of the impeller housing. But when I removed the four bolts and removed the housing, there was a big black rubber ring sealing the gap where it attaches and close to half was missing. Is that part of the wear ring that maybe broke off?

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok, having a RFI, i want to say, you have the 155mm pump. If so, then yes, the rubber "ring" should be in tact and not ripped/broken...etc. Also, if there was a "whit" ring, around the impellor, well, you'll want to replace that. Thats an aftermarket ring which sux. Get an oem/black ring, and install. Easy with a 155mm pump. You'll see 2-set screws atop the pump, holding it in....good luck.

Sea Doo Wear Ring 155mm 271000653 271000904 947 951 | eBay 155mm pump

Sea Doo SeaDoo SP GT XP SPI SPx HX GS GTX GTS GTI Wear Ring 140mm | eBay 140mm pump

John01

Cadet

Went to the sea doo dealer today and picked up a new wear ring. Mine was white because it was so worn down. Put the new one on and took it to the lake and it ran perfect. That was the only problem and the reason I lost thrust. Thanks for all the help and input on the problem.