About to swap axles: Any advice?

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I'm going to swap the existing (non-brake) axle for a new axle (with brakes) on by single axle trailer. I've got the new axle and most of what I think that it will take to mount the new axle. Any words of advice?

I have no place to move the boat too, so I'll be doing this from underneath the trailer with the boat on it.

I'm particularly concerned about alignment issues.

Thanks in advance,

johnbo

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: About to swap axles: Any advice?

Never mind alignment issues! I see an unsafe condition. Use plenty of jackstands and blocks.
Because launching and retreiving a boat is so easy, people tend to forget that a midsized boat and trailer can weigh as much as a car. And when it comes down on you, it does just as much damage.
On second thought, go through the trouble of finding a place for the boat and take it off the trailer. Much safer, and also much easier to install and align the axle.
As far as alignment, springs all have a centerbolt and the axle is automatically placed properly. The only thing you need to do is measure each side to insure that they are equally spaced on the trailer rails. Most trailers have provision for moving the springs forward and backward to properly balance boat and tongue weight.

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, I'm quite aware of the size/weight of the thing. I just don't really have an alternative to getting the boat out of the trailer.

I'm planning on a series of properly rated jackstands, protected with a couple of tires stacked together in each corner. (Had a car come off of a jackstand once, I never allow a single point of failure).

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

johnbo

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

The only issue I see is the infinite variations of axles and mountings that exist out there.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the axle should be pre drilled for alignment. make sure they measure the same distance as the existing axle. this is the time to change springs also, if you are the slightest bit overloaded, you can go with a heavier set.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you mount the new axle to the same place on the springs as the last axle, I don't see any problem. Alignment is not as critical on a single as a dual axle trailer.

I would use new axle u-bolts if the old ones were at all hard to take off or were worn.

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good news. This was far easier than I had anticipated. I had a buddy come over and give me a hand. We used a couple good strong jack stands placed right behind the spring mounts on a cross member to give a good solid purchase. Left the trailer attached to the wife's SUV (and locked away the keys).

The old axle came out easily, the old ubolts had no damage to the threads. We measured up and set the spring perches on the new axle and tack welded them in place. (The old axle was a square axle, this was round). Moved the axle into place and lifted it with a trolley jack. All of the pins lined up easily. Used another set of spring perches mounted upside down to provide a flat mounting plate for the keeper plate.

Tightened everything down and tack welded the upside down perches. Then we removed everything and pulled the axle out.

Tomorrow, I'll take it over to a buddy's house that has a TIG welder, to get everything attached properly (My little Lincoln MIG just can't get a good bead on this thick of material).

Thanks for the good pointers,

johnbo

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]What AMP rating is the MIG?

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not actually sure. It runs off a single 120V outlet with a 20 AMP requirement, which is about max here. I bought the welder about 16 years ago. The label says its an SP-100, so I would assume that its a 100 A, but you never know.

My buddies machine was really cool. It had a capacity of 225A, but we set it at 165 A and this made the welds look like smooth butter.

Now, I'm looking at that Tig welder...always good to have more tools.

Later,