About ready to admit defeat!

loquito

Seaman Apprentice
Re: About ready to admit defeat!

Hi
I am going to do the tests for the Stator and PP that I have read hear on the forum. I am concerned that a reading taken in the driveway will not be the same as when the engine is warmed up and used under load.
Am I worrying bout nothing? Should I test in the driveway?

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

If you dont have the PP test, I can send it to you, let me know though, bc i dont want to type it all out if i dont need to, lol ;)
I have been following alot of your threads and doing the tests.
I did the power pack terminal 6 to 11 test and had an identical reading in both directions so this shows the PP is bad, right? I hope so as I ordered one.
The only concern I had was if this test is also for my 1973 motor, I saw you had a 1976?
Tomarow I test the stator and the rectifier
On my factory manual test for Checking Charge coil
It states meter should read 900 ohms +- 30 ohms. I got a reading of .730.
Voltage does go up at the battery when the motor is started, do I have an ailing Charge coil in my stator?

stalker170

Seaman Apprentice

If you are using a choke when the motor is warm to get it started, it sounds like a gas problem.

Someone wrote Vapor Lock. Have you checked this?

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

well rectifier tests good:)

On the sensor coil test
part A
I get #1 8.0 #2 8.0 and on #3 lead I get 40.8
what does the reading on #3 mean, My sensor coil is ailing also?

If I am understanding the tests and the results then my sensor coil is going bad= new timer base.
my Power pack read bad= ordered
and with the manual calling for 900ohms and my charge coil reading .730
my charge coil is also dying which = new stator.

Am i getting this stuff right?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sorry I did not respond to your post. Go over these tests and let me know what you find, have you ordered the PP?

1. Check the timer base resistance from the black/white wire to the white/black wires. Reading should be 10-20 ohms (or 30-40 ohms for CDI Electronics Blue Timer Bases) .
2. Check the DVA output from the timer base. A reading of at least 0.5V or more is needed from the black/white wire to the white/black wires (while connected to the pack) to fire the pack.
3. Check the DVA output on the orange wires from the power pack while connected to the ignition coils. You should have a reading of at least 150V or more. If the reading is low on one cylinder, disconnect the orange wire from the ignition coil for that cylinder and reconnect it to a load resistor. Retest. If the reading is good, the ignition coil is likely bad. A continued low reading indicates a bad power pack.

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

The PP is on order. I tested from terminal 6 to terminal 11 and got identical readings in both directions.

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

your question #1
I tested from the bl/wh lead to the wht/bl leads. My manual says I should get 8.5 ohms +- 1 ohms.
lead 1 got 8. as well as lead 2 got a reading of 8.
Lead 3 got a reading of 40.8
Your test in question one mirrors test A in my manual under (checking sensor coil).

Test B in (Checking sensor coil) asks that the three wht/bl leads be tested to ground. All three leads were Not shorted to ground.

Sensor coil 3 is sick huh?

My manual states that sensor coil and timer base are serviced as a unit, so I probubly need a timer base becouse of lead three?

What do you think is happening with lead 3?

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

I did order a new PP based on the terminal 6 to terminal 11 reading that you talked about in the " How do I test a Power Pack with no high voltage tools, Just meter." post 3. Is this not a valid test for my 1973 Johnson 65esl73?

I have 3 new coils installed as the old three were all cracked.

One of the Sensor coil leads tests way off from were the book says it should be while the other two leads read just like the book says it should.

And on the Charge coil it only reads 730 ohms instead of the 900 the book says it should. Both units are ailing aren't they?

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

well the terminal 6 to terminal 11 test on the new PP showed that the old one was broke. The test on the new PP showed a reading in only one direction.

Due to the tests showing that the charge coil as well as one of the sensor coils were out of wack I pulled the flywheel. The stator had one sensor coil that had a large crack in it, stator has been replaced.

Though I could not see any visual damage to the timer base, the manual stated that the sensor coils and the timer base were serviced as a unit. My test on #3 sensor coil lead showed that it was way out of wack so the Timer base was also replaced.

I replaced the rectifier just for good measure and held on to the old one as it was still good, just 35 years old.

The motor ran really well on the lake:D

We did have one or two small hickups at idle but were opperating at about a 90% improvement.

I already have the rebuild kits for the carbs as well as the fuel pump so they come next.

Done to date.
repaired skeg and prop, replaced entire waterpump,changed gear oil. replaced thermestat, overpreasure rubber grommets and of course gaskets, lapped head and new head gasket. Lapped exhaust plates and new gaskets for exhaust. Retrofitted a Tattle Tail. Replaced plugs, coils, rectifier, PP, stator, timer base.
next come the carbs and fuel pump rebuild.
Like I said it is running way better, thanks guys.
Just think a few months ago, before this forum and getting my factory manual I had never even touched an outboard.:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

don't it feel good to do it yourself. watch out it is contagious.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

reset your carb had same problem when hot carb was out of adjustment