A strange name indeed!!

spratt

Lieutenant
Just finished reading Kiwi's post about a drunk-driving incident, and the name of the city the guy lived in, Pukehoe. Which led me to think of some of the strange city names I have encountered over the few short years I have lived around the US.<br /><br />There was Monk's Corner in South Carolina, and also Goose Creek .<br /><br />I can think of a lot of others, but tell us what the strangest sounding names are you have encountered, or perhaps you even live in a city that has a weird name!!

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A strange name indeed!!

Frognot Texas<br /><br />Lick Skillet<br />(From memory)<br /><br />Plano Texas (the namer thought Plano was Spanish for "plain" and gave the town the name, this turned out to be incorrect but the name stuck)<br /><br />Kentucky Town Texas<br /><br />Nowata OK<br /><br />Slapout OK<br /><br />Santa Clause Indiana<br /><br />and who can forget French Lick Indiana?

TilliamWe

Banned

Assumption, IL (I wonder what they were assuming?) :confused: <br /><br />And my all time favorite:<br /><br />Intercourse, PA :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have Redbush, Ky<br />Tomahawk, Ky<br />Hazard, Ky(and it was to live there)<br />Whitehouse, Ky<br />Just to name a few.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Two names that often make visitors chuckle at the lack of imagination - are the names of New Zealand's two main islands....<br /><br />North Island<br /><br />South Island<br /><br />...very practical names if you ask me :rolleyes:

Drowned Rat

Captain

Arizona has lots of them<br /><br />Flagstaff, AZ<br />Ajo, AZ (means garlic)<br />Nothing, AZ<br />Why, AZ<br />Monkey's Eyebrow, AZ<br />Bagdad, AZ<br />Many Farms, AZ<br />Bullhead City, AZ<br />Salmon Lake, AZ (this is Arizona mind you)<br />Phantom Ranch, AZ<br />Page, AZ<br />The Gap, AZ<br />Tuba City, AZ<br />Snowflake, AZ<br />Punkin Center, AZ<br />Globe, AZ<br />Miami, AZ<br />Hope, AZ<br />Three Way, AZ<br />Show Low, AZ<br />Friendly Corner, AZ<br />Chloride, AZ<br />Colorado City, AZ<br />Strawberry, AZ<br />Mexican Water, AZ<br />Carefree, AZ<br />etc...

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Gun barrel city,TX<br />Natchitoches,LA<br />(pronounced nackadish)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Boring Oregon, off the top of my head.

ebbtide176

Commander

masondixon GA<br />homer GA<br />soddy-daisy TN(daisy flooded by TVA, joined soddy)<br />ringgold GA (old JusticeoP gave many marriages)<br />santa clause GA<br />lovejoy GA<br />needmore GA :D <br />free home GA :)

JB

Hog Island, NC

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chinaman's Knob (Australia - where else? ;) )

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Climax, Michigan..not the UP

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

The Uk's got loads of them...<br />The Shoe<br />Shellow Bowells<br />Ugley<br />and near me is a hamlet called New Zealand...

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Nos4r2:<br /> <br />and near me is a hamlet called New Zealand...
:eek: <br /><br />Well...I suppose it's only fair, since we've swiped so many British names... :D

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

caught my first fish in the Lemhi River near Lemhi, Idaho just down the road from Lone Pine and Leadore. Used to go hunting and fishing near Bone, Idaho. My Grandmother lived in Mud Lake, Idaho.

SpinnerBait_Nut

And who can forget the famous "Butcher Hollow, Ky" right down the road from me.<br />
lynn_175x216.jpg
<br />Loretta Lynn's house.

f_inscreenname

Commander

A couple of my favorites. <br />Bald Head, Maine<br />Boring, Maryland<br />Odd, West Virginia<br /> But the best one is....<br />Ding Dong, Texas

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Blue Ball,Pennsylvania<br /><br />Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales<br /><br />The town actually exists and the name means "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave."<br /><br />and of course, Panther, West Virginia has a ring to it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Monkey's Eyebrow Kentucky<br />Booger Holler, Arkansas <br />Bucksnort, Tennessee <br />Rudeville, New Jersey <br />Frog Suck, Wyoming<br />Hasty, Colorado <br />Last Chance, Colorado <br />Kalamazoo, California<br />Joe, Montana (I like that one) <br />Slapout Alabama <br />Fruitland, OR <br />Drain OR <br />Wagontire, OR <br />Fossil, OR<br />Ship Bottom NJ <br />Hell Arkansas (How did I forget that one??) <br />Lizard Lick, North Carolina <br />Deep Gap, North Carolina <br />Cheesequake, New Jersey <br />Looneyville Texas <br />Weeping Mary Texas <br />Red Lion New Jersey <br />Double Trouble New Jersey <br />Dry Prong, Louisiana <br />Dime Box, Texas <br /><br />Ok, I'm done. My head hurts. :(