A squeaky noise

Chuck Rowe

Cadet
When I lower or raise the foot and when I first give the engine gas on my 1992 FourWinns 190 Horzion 5.0L with a Cobra King out-drive, I hear a squeaky noise that reminds me of a loose or bad fan belt. Are the fan belts both involved in raisin and lowering the foot, as well as running the engine? Is there another belt somewhere on the engine that is? The boat runs very well, but the noise is telling me that something is wrong.<br /><br />Thanks Chuck

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A squeaky noise

Is the altanator belt tight? maybee the discharge of battery pwr while trimming and sudden increase of rpm's is causing alt belt to slip?

delta breeze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with A.D., with the use of the trim it put a strain on the charging system.The belt is probably loose. Good luck. Delta Breeze

Chuck Rowe

Cadet

THANK YOU BOTH.... A loose belt was my thought as well, but I wanted to see if anyone would agree that it could cause the condition that I described.<br /><br />Thanks Again<br />Chuck

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Chuck, I had the same problem last year with my 5.0L OMC and I cleaned the rust off the pulleys and tightened the belts. Squealing(sp?) stopped temporarily but came back after 2-3 trips out so I just replaced the belts with new ones. Good luck!

Chuck Rowe

Cadet

Thank you.. I am going to follow your advice and change the belts.. as well as sand the rust off of the pulleys.<br /><br />Chuck

ec133

Recruit

Wait, isn't it bad to sand off the pulleys? I heard it can create extra friction, and cause belts to wear out prematurely. How much sanding do you think is required? My stupid belt keeps squeaking away after spraying on some good old Belt Dressing. <br /><br />I should just get a new belt... I think I only have one, it's on a '95 350 mag mercruiser alpha. Has anyone done this? Is it an easy job?