A simple thing that irritates me in the online world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: A simple thing that irritates me in the online world

I came across an ad on Craigslist a few months ago that brought me to tears. It was so full of misspelled words and poorly formed sentence structure that it had me in hysterics. I wasn't interested in what was offered for sale, but I did reply and offer tutoring for a nominal fee :D.

Never did get a reply :confused:

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I find this pretty interesting but not an excuse for lack of spelling...

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

boggles the mind...lol :eek:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

What really makes me crazy is the guys that just run on and on and on and you know what I mean right because when they type as they think then I think they really are not think what so ever I mean come on all it becomes is an avalanche of words that as I have pointed out before is that these type of posts only make my eyes bleed and I simply can not hang in there long enough to post anything constructive but maybe I am overly sensitive being as I have been reading and love the written word since I was but a wee lad sitting on my grandfathers couch reading National Geographics at five years of age.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Blue, The ad may have been written in code. Commonly used for the sale of sex and drugs.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Very true!
Our spell check quit years ago. Never looked into fixing it. I usually proof read before I submit, but not always. To me it's no biggy. We all fat finger every now and then(or is it than???????).:D

puddle jumper

Captain

As long as we can understand each other I'm good with it.

Going to go out on a limb and ask you; what is your motivation in making this post in a forum you clearly know has community members that are not perfect with spelling or sentence construction? Do you believe the post will strengthen our community by embarrassing a part of it?

Bluntly, I see no reason for you having made this post and I would respectfully ask you to examine your motives.

+1 Straight A student special ed spelling class. That was me to a T. Many here have corrected me on many threads.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

I hate it when they say "runs real good". I stop reading right there. The problem in the south is, we all type like we speak. "So if'n yer gonna go on dawn thar an' getchey sum a' that thar stuff, yun's'll be a'needn' ta go purt near sunrise ta' git 'em."

andthentherarethersuperrunonsentencesthatgiveyouheadachesjustlookingatthemlikethisoneisdoingrightnow. :D

Tyme2fish

Commander

What really makes me nuts is the universal internet misuse of their, there and they're.

Examples:

Their many idiots out they're.
I wish they would correct there misuse of the language.

Your right. You're post was spot on.:cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was a writer, editor and teacher. Poor use of our language annoys the heck out of me and has for the 10 years I have been reading (or trying to read) posts here.

I try not to let it affect my responses, but sometimes I fail. Many of the hardest to understand posts really are the best the poster can do. I try to treat them all as though that is the case, even though I know that some are simply too lazy to care what impression they make.

That impression is, of course, that they simply are not bright enough to write a post worthy of a passing grade in Grade 4 English. It really doesn't matter if that is true or not, that is the impression we get.

What I try to do is treat all posters with courtesy. I don't always succeed.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Really guys?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I don't mind spelling errors near as much as all the acronyms and abbreviations used these days. People just get carried away with them assuming everyone knows what they are saying. I assume a lot of it comes from texting which I don't do. Don't take me wrong, I don't mind it as long as you are not in front of me driving.

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

lmfao that is redic. this thread is gr8. IMHO as long as you can figure out what someone is trying to say, it's not that bad.

g2g tho

just felt like messin wit ya guys

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Riders of the Short Bus unite!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, the lack of grammar and spelling skills annoys me, too. Some people just don't care.

But, there are MUCH bigger reasons out there to get in a tizzy over, not to mention the waste of time. Just roll with it. :)

<<)))(((>>

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have seen these posted on other forums.

angry-flower-guide-to-its.gif

aposter3.jpg

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a google search box on the top right corner of my browser...Usually if you type the first 3 or 4 letters of a word it will give you a few suggestions and you can spell check as you go...Then the really funny part is this message board's reply box underlines every word that it thinks is spelled wrong...I never think its just "the best someone can do"...Its all about someones value system...:eek:

Laddies

Banned

I thought this was a boating forum not a english class but apparently we poor under educated white trash offend our highly educated elite members. I have had my grammar corrected on occasion by our intellectual members, I don't recall ever claiming to be a typist, grammar student or intellectual (those educated beyond their intelligence level). Personally I am just a under educated person who worked as a mechanic 50+ years of my life and use to spend many hours a day on this forum helping people with mechanical problems but in the last couple of years the forum has been taken over by the likes of you folks, I have never been criticised by anyone that I have helped only by the people of your mentality, with your high handed a attitude and hurtful remarks, at 71 years of age they kind of run off my back but there are many more young members that could and would give advice but for some of the attitude shown in this thread.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I have a google search box on the top right corner of my browser...Usually if you type the first 3 or 4 letters of a word it will give you a few suggestions and you can spell check as you go...Then the really funny part is this message board's reply box underlines every word that it thinks is spelled wrong...I never think its just "the best someone can do"...Its all about someones value system...:eek:

Ha! I do the same thing.......

Laddies - Tough to argue......

Huron Angler

Admiral

I like reading words spelled correctly, but mistakes are pretty easy to comprehend anyhow.

If this sort of thing is truly keeping mechanical geniuses like Laddies away from helping folks...then knock it off please.:(

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You raed my mnid. LOL

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Spellings nothing to get all bent out of shape over,
can you imagine if we all left voice messages :eek: :D

You said what! Say again but much slower please :facepalm: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.