A simple thing that irritates me in the online world

Status
Not open for further replies.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer
I just need to vent here a little bit. I would assume that everybody reading the forums and browsing the internet is on a computer that has spell check, why do I see so many misspelled words when browsing the forum or the boating classified ads?? Here are just three that get to me in the boating world........Evenrude, Impellor, and Trailor or Traylor. Anybody have any more to add??????????

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: A simple thing that irritates me in the online world

Yep I sure do, my spell check on my phone sux. If you do not go back and reread what you typed it will not be understandable. Now on the other hand the spell check from google chrome is pretty good.

you should see how many red squiggly lines I have before I go back and use the spell checker.

lol

JRJ

Commander

Know :D

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Are you easily irretated?:rolleyes:

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I understand. Written communication is sorely lacking these days. Proper sentence structure, punctuation and spelling are not the norm . Taking the time to proof-read a post , to me , is better than not being understood by those reading my posts.

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to admit my spelling is not always spot on. Most of the time I post from my work computer, (shhh), and we are not allowed to download anything, including spell check, so I do try to keep my mistakes to a minimum as I am used to writing numerous reports where a good defense attorney will rip you apart on the stand for a simple mistake. However that being said I will also admit that when it comes to an internet forums I do slack a little as I come to these forums to relax a little and not worry so much.

There is one that drives me nuts though and that is when people use "then" when they mean than and "than" when they mean then.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

yeah it really b others me whan peopl doon't bothr to check what thay r riting. its so sadd. :D

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I never worry about what people write as long as I can comprehend the posters meaning. There are lots of people that are so scared to post on boards for fear they will be made fun of for typing, using proper grammar or spelling mistakes.

I myself have never been very good at Grammar but I do try & if I really need help my wife is GREAT with Grammar.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Seriously, there have been a few members over the years who could not write to save their life. One was strictly due to poor education, but one member in particular was suffering from a disability. Was darn near imposable to read what he wrote, but he was sincere in his attempt to discuss his topics.

Others have problems with their hands, or joints, or are just "hunt and peck" typists. As long as they are sincere in their attempt to post, I'll give them a pass.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

I have to admit my spelling is not always spot on. Most of the time I post from my work computer, (shhh), and we are not allowed to download anything, including spell check, so I do try to keep my mistakes to a minimum as I am used to writing numerous reports where a good defense attorney will rip you apart on the stand for a simple mistake. However that being said I will also admit that when it comes to an internet forums I do slack a little as I come to these forums to relax a little and not worry so much.

There is one that drives me nuts though and that is when people use "then" when they mean than and "than" when they mean then.

Well, it seems you are in the same business as I am. I have to approve those reports, I can be somewhat picky when it comes to the grammar but I would rather see them get mad at me for "picking" on them instead of seeing someone make a fool of themselves in front of their peers.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

It is more accepted to me in the forums than in a classified ad such as Craigslist, Ebay, ect. If you want to sell me a $15,000 boat please don't tell me you have an Evenrude 115 that you just put a new impellor on with a load rite traylor. I probably will not respond to those ads, or will be tentative to do so because I think that you do not know what you are talking about. I see too many of those on Craigslist to even begin to discuss.

SigSaurP229

Commander

I do my best but by no means am I perfect. I do try to communicate my thoughts clearly and precisely, however at times I am going to misspell or forget a punctuation mark. I am not writing a proper email or report for a customer, therefore I don't go to as great of lengths as I would normally.

It REALLY bothers me when 7 out of 9 words in a sentence are not spelled correctly, and when people don't bother spacing their thoughts into paragraphs.

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It REALLY bothers me when 7 out of 9 words in a sentence are not spelled correctly, and when people don't bother spacing their thoughts into paragraphs.

I agree it is very hard to read a 1 page paragraph or an all CAPS post. As I said I have my wife write or double check everything for our business though.

biddle1950

Seaman Apprentice

if you made it past third grade, you don't need spell check.
grammer is a different storry online

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's much easier on the brain reading complete sentences.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Biddle, Storry?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Watching World and US news Irritates me!:facepalm:

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you made it past third grade, you don't need spell check.
grammer is a different storry online

I use Spell Check still & I have College & have been a business owner for most of my life. Oh & my Spell Check is putting squiggles under 3 of your words LOL

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What really makes me nuts is the universal internet misuse of their, there and they're.

Examples:

Their many idiots out they're.
I wish they would correct there misuse of the language.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think simple things are going to matter any more once the radiation fills the atmosphere and pollutes the ocean!

Status
Not open for further replies.