A reason for seat belts

bubbakat

Captain
I was out patrolling along a stretch of four lane highway this am. I thought well hope everything is quit today because things have been wide open for me since sunday night about eleven pm.<br /> Of course that is another story,<br />I was rounding this long curve to the right.<br />I Begin to see signs of skidding and dirt on the roadway.<br /> About fifty yards ahead of me was a man in his middle twenties crawling across the roadway. I didn't see a vehicle when I first got to him.<br />I notified dispatch to send an ambulance because I could see he was injured.<br />I approached the man and glanced off to my right and low and behold his truck was in the woods about fifty yards off the road.<br />medics arrived and summoned air ambulance. We shut down road and airlifted him out. He looked really bad. I went back to gather info for my report and he had ran off the road and swung back on to road.<br />He then flipped and was ejected from truck.<br /> He landed face down right next to the center line.<br />The outline of his face was on the highway from his body fluids.<br />Upon examining his truck the drivers side had very little damage but the passengers side was destroyed.<br />If he had his seatbelt on he would have walked away.<br />Just had to get this off my chest.<br /> thanks every one. I still don't know if he lived or not. I will call the hospital in am and find out.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: A reason for seat belts

Willard....don't see how you do it.<br /><br />I used to be an EMT but couldn't take it any more.<br /><br />God Bless you!<br /><br />ps....you still coming to Houston this summer? If so, we'll have to treat you to dinner! My wife and I are pretty darn good cooks! (not braggin, just big belly) :D

SoulWinner

Commander

God bless you bubba. And may God watch over and keep this young man.. now he has a testimony, may he live to tell it. Sleep in peace bro,<br /><br />Love :(

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Bubba, Men like you are the true "Highway Heros" God bless you.... :)

Bored To Tears

Seaman Apprentice

Hey there Bubbakat<br /><br />you arent down in McNairy county are you?<br /><br />Bufords old stompin grounds?<br /><br />just curious!

ZmOz

Captain

I know this sounds a little harsh, but people that don't wear seatbelts deserve what happens to them. Not wearing one is just stupid. There isn't one reason not to. A few months ago I had an accident, and I KNOW if I wasn't wearing my seatbelt they would have had to call a helicopter for me. Boulders bring you to a rather abrubt stop... :D

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

I was thinkin of adding seatbelts to my boat, being a newbie i don't have experience but imageine that hitting a wave or what ever could be damageing to the face and a surprise while watching the shore/bikini on skis or what ever.<br /> Thoughts please

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I am an avid belt buckler, seen too much of what happens if you don't. I laugh at those who are too cool to use their belts, but I do see more people buckled up than not, even the teenagers. No belt tickets probably help that along. <br /><br />Wajaja, I can imagine that being buckled in on a boat that flips could not be too fun. I think with boats it is definately better to be ejected. At least if you have a vest on you'll float whether your knocked out or not. Being unconscious in an upside down boat while belted in doesn't sound fun, but maybe thats me.

bubbakat

Captain

Well I called and he is still alive. I reviewed my report again this morning and this man was 18 years old. I thought he was in mid twenties and then it dawned on me I had all the info.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

In Minnesota it is law to wear seat belts. 68 dollar ticket. People not wearing seat belts are part of the rising costs of medical and car insurance. The guy bubba saved is going to cost some insurance company at least 100K dollars because he was not wearing them. My brother hit a light pole doing 20mph while I was in passenger seat and I saw it coming and braced myself and still went through the windshield with over 100 stitches in my head. Since then I am a believer.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Been compulsory in Oz for years now, the insurance companies often don't pay up citing gross neglegence as a main contributing factor (not unlike drunk driving). Of course its never that simple once the lawyers get involved.<br /><br />Our law makers are usually 4 or 5 years behind you guys (speed limits, air bags etc). Isn't it law in every U.S. state?<br /><br />Aldo

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was a firefighter/emt for 11 years and have seen first hand many times wrecks where the seatbelt would have saved a persons life.You never forget the "BAD" ones.

Xcusme

Commander

Some time back, I had the chance to talk to a state trooper. I asked him what he personally thought of wearing a seatbelt and do they really make a difference....he said "Well, let me put it this way, I've never had to unbuckle a dead man"<br /><br />That was good enough for me!

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

Any info on the cause?<br />Alcohol, Drugs, Speed, Mechanical Failure, Other Motorist, Driver Fatigue?...Sounds like the road conditions were OK... :confused:

bubbakat

Captain

In Minnesota it is law to wear seat belts. 68 dollar ticket
Its also a law here to, amounts to a 85 dolor ticket. eurolarva <br /><br />
Any info on the cause?
Toad2001 <br /><br />Yea, toad he went to sleep. From the info I received yesterday from his family he had just finished a 12 hr. shift.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i found out today from talking to a police officer at work that its only like 30 bucks for a seat belt ticket out here. i think it outta be about 5 points and a minimum of 150 bucks. also out here if you have farm plates you are not required to wear one go figure that one

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

My oldest Step daughter got nailed for a no seat belt over the weekend. She wrote about it on the Xanga website teens are using to write blogs on. She thought it was a laughing matter. I am glad when she posts things like that, because the wife can't get pissed at me when I mention how stupid the girl is. About Six more months, and she is on her own insurance. Even if I have to go through divorce court to get it that way.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by trblshtr:<br />Are there seatbelts on school busses?
Not in my town. Schoolbus went off the road 2 winters ago, 12 kids went to the hospital with minor injuries.