A 'Post-Sandy' Word to the Wise for I/O Owners

JoLin

Vice Admiral
A friend brought up a great point concerning boats that were out of the water and suffered no apparent damage.

His boat had already been hauled, and the outdrive removed for winter storage. If the water rose high enough, his gimbal bearing and u-joint are toast. With the bellows disconnected, they weren't sealed against water infiltration.

He has written his insurance company and reserved the right to make a damage claim in the future. Might not know for quite awhile if anything in there got flooded.

My .02

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: A 'Post-Sandy' Word to the Wise for I/O Owners

I think it's a crap shoot any way, all the way down is the best way for the bellows and Hydrolics however not good if the boat is laying on it's bottom, all the way up is bad for the bellows and lifts however might fair through a storm best...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

why do you remove outdrives for storage?

Loving my outboards more and more each day....

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Common practice in the boatyards. Everyone does it. You need to inspect bellows and lube gimbal bearings and u-joints annually.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Around here most do it so it doesnt get stolen. I cant tell ya how many ads I`ve seen on craigslist of boats for sale with stolen drives this year.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the u-joints stay with with the drive, not the boat...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Our club is split 50:50. Some remove some leave and either remove props, cover in place or don't touch.

Would an inspection before reinstalling the out drive reveal any water getting in?

The marina storing my boat does not remove the drive for storage. They will remove it, lube and check bellows, and replace it all in one operation in the spring.

ziggy

Admiral

i agree with this.
Everyone does it. You need to inspect bellows and lube gimbal bearings and u-joints annually.
along with lubing the coupler and check alignment. + this.
Around here most do it so it doesnt get stolen
+ i R&R my impeller and gear lub mid winter to give me something 'boat' to work on when it's snowing out.
to keep the weather out while the drive is removed, i made a plexiglass cover to go over my bell housing. i doubt it'd keep submersion waters out though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the u-joints stay with with the drive, not the boat...
that's true for a mercruiser drive. removing the drive lets you access them for inspection and lubricating.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

That's right- my error.

Here's the thing. The marina where we both dock in summer (and he uses for winter, too) was hard hit by the storm surge. Boat damage there was very hit or miss. His boat was on blocks a couple feet off the ground and somehow stayed put.

Only 2/10 of a mile farther down the access road (right at Bergen Point for anyone familiar with the area) there's a 6-foot chain link fence blocking some ongoing bulkhead construction. We rode out to the Point the other day.... the fence is covered in dry seaweed all the way up to the top rail. So, even though his boat never floated off its stands, wave action could easily have reached as high as his swim platform.