A Non-Troll Idea About Reducing Gas Prices

ZmOz

Captain
Re: A Non-Troll Idea About Reducing Gas Prices

Originally posted by woodrat:<br />Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think there must be a demand for it. I can't believe that KIZ and I are the only ones using it...
Exactly. If there wasn't a demand for it, they wouldn't be selling it at EVERY gas station. I would imagine they sell even more of it than diesel, since only about 60% of stations sell diesel, while 99% sell 89. If they could slap a diesel sticker over that 89 octane sticker and sell more, they would. I use it in my boat...I should be using 92...wish I could use 87...

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Octane is a cooling agent rating. The higher the octane rating the higher combustion pressure it will withstand before detonating. High compression engines require high octane fuels. Low compression engines require low octane fuel. This is why some engines (high compression) ping on low octane fuels. Pinging engines are actually detonating the fuel due to combustion chamber temperature and pressure before the ignition system has had time to light the fuel and start it burning. Low octane fuels also have a more violent burn/explosion rate, and the high octane fuels control burn more evenly. If you have an engine that require a 89 or 92 octane fuel, I would highly recommend you adhere to these recomendations. If you dont, you will actually kill your engine prematurely due to detonation. Also just because you cant hear it, does not mean the engine is not pinging. This is also the reason for knock sensors on all conputerized engines. If you run low octane in a computerized engine that require a high octane fuel the computer sences the knock/ping and will retard timing trying to eliminate the knock, which will also increase engine temp. Slow ignition timing reduces efficiency.<br /><br />And thats not all, there is more, but my finger is tired of typing.<br /><br />Edit; My wifes car, 2001 Pontiac Grand Am is the only combustion engine that I own that does not require one of the higher octane fuels. :eek: :eek:

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, Reel Poor, I gotta say it. A $100k boat and high octane cars. Geez your a lucky guy :D :p :D

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

1991 Dodge Caravan with over 252,000 miles on the cheapest stuff I can find from day one, no problems.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

How about reducing and/or eliminating fed, state , and local taxes on gasoline?....

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> How about reducing and/or eliminating fed, state , and local taxes on gasoline?....
And while we're at it, federal and state income and property taxes. ;)