A Non-Troll Idea About Reducing Gas Prices

eeboater

Commander
So, here's an interesting thought. I know that a lot of the reason there are higher gas prices is because of shortages in production.<br /><br />How about we eliminate the mid-grade gasoline? I mean seriously, have you ever seen anyon buying that gas? If I am buying gas its either low-grade or high-grade, nothing in between. :D <br /><br />Sean

txswinner

Banned
Re: A Non-Troll Idea About Reducing Gas Prices

You are correct, what is the mid grade for???

one more cast

Captain

But isn't High grade just low grade with additives?

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> You are correct, what is the mid grade for???
For those who think they get better performance, with out the cost of 93 octane. Never used the stuff. 87 or 93, 89 makes no sense

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is One More. If you can eliminate the mid-grade it could mean more available 87 octane. But I don't think that there is a whole lot of midgrade produced as opposed to 87 octane. I'm definitely no expert.<br /><br />I think that we need to ease restrictions on drilling and especially on refining in this country. <br /><br />You guys will notice that EEboater thinks about solutions as opposed to whining about the problem.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Two things,<br /><br />rumor has it that the mid grade it just the high grade blended with the low grade. Some rumors say its done at the pump, some say its done at the refinery. Either way it gets used, otherwise gas stations wouldnt offer it.<br /><br />Second,<br /><br />My car will slightly ping with 87 octane, and no ping at 89 octane. I also get slightly higher MPG with the 89 octane because the car runs more efficient (the pinging means inefficiency). If the 89 octane is only a few cents more I will fill up with 89.<br /><br />Ken

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A Mobil station down the road,sells low and mid for the same price.I've never seen any other gas station do this.Hmmm makes me wonder why.

eeboater

Commander

Usually (here in the Milwaukee area) the 89 octane is 10 cents more than the 87, and 93 is 10 cents more than 87. I usually run 87 in my cars, then run a tank of 93 through them once every 2 or 3 months. And then I run all 93 octane through my lawnmower/snowblowers.<br /><br />If 87 is simply a blend of the two, I think thats nuts. Free up the other two so there is more 87 and 93.<br /><br />Sean

woodrat

Ensign

Since my chainsaws and my sawmill engine both specify a minimum octane of 89, I do buy the midgrade. I also often put it in my car, and occasionally super as well. I never run the boat on 87, always either mid or super.<br /><br />Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think there must be a demand for it. I can't believe that KIZ and I are the only ones using it...

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

What would really help would be to eliminate all the different formulations of gas required in different areas.<br />MTBE here, ethanol there & who knows what else.<br />It would simplify distribution & lower cost.

woodrat

Ensign

The gas in CA has a bunch of crap in it, which basically makes for fewer BTUs per gallon. I used to be able to fill in Roseburg OR and make it to Eureka CA with fuel to spare but if I filled in Eureka, I could barely get back to Roseburg on the fumes...

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

How about the ethanol/methanol mix? I understand it costs more energy to produce these than the benefit we recieve.

gonefishie

Commander

I know 89 get blend somewhere before they gets to the pump because I used to work at Shell in high school and we had 3 seperate tanks for each grade and all get fill up seperately.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I am whining about the lack of refineries due to the eco-nazis. :D <br /><br />Ken

aspeck

Staff member

Isn't the 89 what low grade used to be in the late 70's, early 80's? I seem to remember it was somewhere around there that they came out with the "cheaper stuff" - 87.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by aspeck:<br /> Isn't the 89 what low grade used to be in the late 70's, early 80's? I seem to remember it was somewhere around there that they came out with the "cheaper stuff" - 87.
Is that really the case? Wow -- didn't know that!<br /><br />Sean

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

My VW calls for premium so to save about a dime per gallon I use mid-grade. Doesn't seem to ping with it so why use top grade?

eeboater

Commander

1444083-fuel.gif

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Any of you guys with boats that have a volvo/mercruiser 4.3 made after 1996? says in both manuals 89octane minimum.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Here is another solution that not only would cut down use of gas, but teenage pregnancies as well. Make 18 the legal age to drive. Take the 16 and 17 year olds off the road. This would save lives, gas, and kids having kids. This would also put the leash back into the hands of the parent.<br /><br />Just a thought.....SS