A little help here on a Mercontrol

DeepCMark58A

Commander
So in swapping motors with different controls I wanted to see if I could swap out the wire and key from one control to the other. I aborted the attempt and even figured out how to get the control box back together. The problem is after I cursed and fought and got it back together I discovered a part that was not in the box. I looked but can't seem to figure out where it goes...

Attachments

• photo236812.jpg
    photo236812.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0
  • photo236813.jpg
    photo236813.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo236814.jpg
    photo236814.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Right where the arrow is pointing. It's the neutral detent plunger or thingamabob.

control.jpg

GA_Boater

Rotate the shift cam until the right arrow detent is lined up with other arrow. Then you can get it back together with only a little more cursing .:smile: Do you have the the 2 dimpled, flat springs?

control2.jpg

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Thank you for the diagram. I am going to attempt the reinstall tomorrow after work, get home have a beer, relax and give it a whirl.

GA_Boater

The 2 flat springs and the plunger thing are a pain. I don't fully seat the springs so I can use a thin screwdriver to help get the ends started in the other side of the control. It always takes a couple of tries. Also, don't laugh, but try to use a large bag or even a box to work in. When the whole mess pops out the first couple of times, the plunger flies. It took me 3 months to find one,

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I didn't have any springs pop out when I opened the controller originally, what are the odds they stayed in place?

GA_Boater

In the pic in post #4, the lower left arrow is pointing to what appears to be the flat spring. If you've had it together and apart a few more times. the spring could be in the other half of the control.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I only had the one spring, could only find a place for a spring to fit on the one side, got the neutral detent in and got the two halves to mesh, tightened 3 screws thru the controller. The warm up lever and shifting and throttle all work thru motion span without friction or binding, plugged in the motor and hooked up to battery and put it in neutral and the starter engaged. Mission accomplished thank you GA for the pointers your help and diagram made the difference. Hope the motor sells going to roll over the procedes of the sale to the seating in the deep C to complete the make over.

GA_Boater

No prob, Deep. Just sharing my experience. The first time can be a bear getting it back together,

Glad it's working. :D

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I can usually figure stuff out by looking at it, the mercontrol box is difficult to figure out but when you figure out the gyrations it just fits together and works it is much like the fairer gender it fires when you do it right.