A JC-Whitney of Boat Parts?

sam7684

Cadet
I am a huge fan of JC Whitney catalogs (both online & print) for my car.

Is there an equivalent for the boating world?

I'm referring to a HUGE selection, awesome prices, good customer support. Thanks! :)

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: A JC-Whitney of Boat Parts?

I have no idea but I am curious about one thing ... what kind of airplane are you flying in the pic? LOL, would this be called "thread hi-jacking?"

sam7684

Cadet

I have no idea but I am curious about one thing ... what kind of airplane are you flying in the pic? LOL, would this be called "thread hi-jacking?"

It's a 1950 Cessna 170. At this point, I'm not sure which is more complicated to learn..... a boat in San Francisco bay or a prop plane... sheesh! :)

100_0140.jpg

You see those vessels to the left in the water? There's a navy junk yard nearby my home that would be so awesome to visit once I get my boat running.

Last edited:

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Iboats.com, Cabelas.com, attwoodmarine.com . Iboats has just about anything and everything you can think of. I believe Cabelas has a catalog, I'm sure there are others out there also.

I have a whole bunch of boating website links on my own website though, if I keep it up I'll have my own google search engine for boats and more lol.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

ishopmarine.com has little pieces parts like individual o-rings & fasteners, etc. but the shipping cost eats ya up on small orders. westmarine.com is good for those with money coming out of the wahzoo.......

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

By the looks of the interior, someone fixed the 170 up very nicely!

BTW - boats are harder until you get into instrument flying!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

iboats, boater owners world, boatersworld, overtons. most offer the same thing, so shop price, iboats is the best for shipping cost, and customer service.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am a huge fan of JC Whitney catalogs (both online & print) for my car.

Is there an equivalent for the boating world?

I'm referring to a HUGE selection, awesome prices, good customer support. Thanks! :)

Equivalence becomes a fuzzy term. What part of the JC Whitney experience appeals to you. When it comes to automobiles you have three options. They can be fast, the can be reliable, and they can be cheap. Obviously they can not be all three or even two of those. My experience with a turbo Dodge Rampage has proven that many times over. The faster it goes the more it breaks and cost me more. When I opt for the reliable aspect of the equation, the speed drops. And, when I go for cheap, it is neither fast or reliable. In automotive applications, one can make various compromises, but when it comes to boating and more so in aviation - reliability is utmost. I doubt if you have a JC Whitney type company in the aviation world and you would probably never buy from one either. Boating is a very close second where reliability is concerned, the potential for catastrophic failure may be somewhat lessened but the utter humiliation of being towed back to the ramp is tantamount to having your onions nailed to the mast.:D

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used Boatfix in the past, they seem to have the best prices but the site takes some getting used to.

Iboats has a good selection and the prices are pretty good too.