a few quick fiberglassing questions

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hey guys, i searched on these items, and I haven't found answers, so i'm just gonna ask a few quick questions:<br /><br />first off, i'm fiberglassing 5 18ft stringers, "hat style," meaning no core, and lots of fiberglass (4 layers: woven, mat, woven, mat). so:<br /><br />1. how much fiberglass do you typically mix at a time? i'm just trying to figure out what size cups/buckets i need to order, and how long the stir sticks should be.<br /><br />2. do i need to buy fiberglass scissors/shears, or will any good pair of scissors cut mat tape and woven roving?<br /><br />3. i am going to order some tyvek suits... how many would you recommend ordering? i have used one or two in the past, but for short projects. i haven't used tyvek suits for a job this extensive, so i don't know how long they last (usually throw them away after each of my short uses).<br /><br />4. for the mask, i have seen in west marine catalogs the 3m respirator masks that are approved for fiberglass (3m particulate respirator). if this mask is ok, how many would you think i should order? if not, and i need to buy a mask, how many cartridges do you think I would need?<br /><br />5. i just bought a box of 100 gloves, and realized, after i opened the box to test fit, that the gloves are vinyl, not latex. is that ok?<br /><br />sorry for all the specific questions, but I want to order the right amount of stuff to do the job right without having to leave and go to the store. i would like to order almost everything that i can online to save money, and i want to have enough, but I don't want to order too many items (like mask filters), because that extra cost can add up quick.<br /><br />as always, thank you very much for your help and replies. it is greatly appreciated!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: a few quick fiberglassing questions

1. It depends on the gel time of the resin, shop temp, size of the job and your skill. For this type of job I would mix from 1/2 to 1 gal at a time.<br /><br />2. Any good pair of scissors will work, bigger ones just make it easier if you need to cut a lot of fiberglass.<br /><br />3. You only need a couple of pairs, but you need to be careful with them.<br /><br />4. Get a respirator with cartridges for laminating, but I just use a good dust mask for grinding.<br /><br />5. It depends on the glove, some work some don't, I don't like the thin latex ones though, they never last very long and you end up with resin on your hands.

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

these vinyl ones feel real thick, and they fit me somewhat tightly, so i imagine they would work. thanks for the answers! i'm hoping the temp is at least in the 60's around march 12. i know it can't be much colder if i expect to do this work, or at least i need to order extra hardener to add. i'll probably mix in 1/2 gallons, because i will have to experiment with hardener. i think i'll order 3 sets of tyvek suits. if i need more, it should be obvious enough if i need to go to the store at nighttime when i'm done for the day anyways. i figured i would need to get a respirator. if it's a dual cartridge respirator, how many cartridges do you think i should need? the two that come with it wouldn't be good enough for these 5 or so days of fiberglass work do you? i think i should order 2 more, unless you think i need even more than that.<br /><br />thanks!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Most resins are formulated to be catalyzed at 1 to 2%, so it's not a good idea to use more or less than that. <br /><br />The cartridges will easily last that long.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

are you useing Polyester resin, or Epoxy Resin to do the glassing?

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sorry... i should have specified... i'm gonna use polyester resin.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For respirator when glassing the 3M - 5203 cartride works well. For sanding a dust mask works fine.

Bondo

Staff member

i'll probably mix in 1/2 gallons , because i will have to experiment with hardener.
That's Crazy.........<br /><br />You're Experimenting......... Start with a 1/2 CUP ........<br /><br />I can see where this boat project is going to Co$t you an Arm & a Leg,...... Along with Your 1st Born..........<br /><br />Here's Another view of What you Need,........<br />
i'm just trying to figure out what size cups/buckets i need to order, and how long the stir sticks should be.
Use Only 1 measuring vessel for Each component,....Then do the Mixing in your Workpot....An Old Coffeecan Works Perfectly....<br />Standard "Paint Sticks" Always work........ANY stick will Work.......<br /><br />Fiberglass scissors/shears is covered.........<br />
i am going to order some tyvek suits... how many would you recommend ordering?
None,........ <br />If you Don't own Any Old Jeans,...... Run down to the Salvation Army Store,........<br />Everybody Needs a couple pairs of "Workin'" jeans,......And,.. You'll be Helping out a Worthy organization........ <br />Just hang 'em in the garage if the little woman is the issue,......<br />
for the mask
Go to NAPA or someplace that sells Automotive Paints,.... They hook you Right Up for slightly under $50.00 Max......Youll get a nice filtered mask, that Fits..... The set of cartridges will Not need replacing for along time.......<br />It's Money that'll help you live Longer..... Those Paper 1s are almost a Waste of Money,....More of a "Feel Good" thing,... They Leak, Bad.....<br />
i just bought a box of 100 gloves
While you're at NAPA,......... Grab a Gallon of some of their Professional grade Hand Cleaner........<br />And, Throw the Gloves Away................. ;) :D

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

naaa, i'm not about fiberglassing fingers. i know how that can be from doing small automotive fiberglass work. i'm getting a full 3m respirator mask from west marine for under $40. 3m, and most i have talked to, have said the respirator masks used for automotive painting do not filter out fiberglass fumes. i have gojo with pumice that i use to clean my hands after all my automotive work.<br /><br />sorry, that was a typo about the mixing cups. i have .5 quart (not gallon) cups for testing different hardener/resin ratios. i will be using .5 gallon buckets for the final mixture.<br /><br />all the supplies and equipment for the stringer job has been about $400, including plenty of extra stuff. i'm willing to spend the extra money to make sure i do the job right and smoothly. i expected this project would cost alot of money, and this is just the beginning.