A few pictures from the weekend and a rant

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So it finally broke the 50 degree mark two weeks ago and my wife was out of town so I had a friend come to town for the weekend to take the boat out. He wanted to go get Oysters, so we did:
harold_lookaway.jpg

That's him in the waders, I stayed in the boat.
harold_with_bucket.jpg

It was a very nice weekend, clear skies and calm seas. A little nippy, but not too bad.

bridge.jpg

Overall it was a great time to take the boat out after it had been sitting for 3-4 months in storage.

boat.jpg

It was the first time I took it out for oysters, and the first time I brought it up to shore at low tide to let someone off, and it all went off more or less without a hitch, which was rare when the two of us take the boat out. Well not quite, I should mention it took me 45 minutes to get the motor to actually idle before we got out on Saturday, which seems to be a theme lately...

Then I noticed some things. The cabin lights that were broken and I had replaced the day before still don't work. I'm guessing its a wiring issue with the switch, or the switch itself based on the problems I had with the navigation lights before. The live well wasn't filling with water, and when I flipped the switch down in the battery compartment, it wouldn't come out the hose attachment in the back either. I was hearing some odd noises down there so I started rooting around and found out that my bilge pump was never hooked up. But hey, these were all existing problems from the previous owner. I've only had the boat for 6 months and I new there was still work to be done, now its just a little more work.

At least we didn't break anything new on this trip, right?

strap.jpg

Wrong.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: A few pictures from the weekend and a rant

I had the same thing happen to my winch strap once. Thank goodness for the safety chain and other redudant tie downs I had going on. I was probably rubbing on something it shouldn't have.

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also managed to use the GPS on my phone to verify my top speed on a pretty calm surface was only 36mph with a half a tank (30 gal) of fuel. Thats with two adults and a dog on board. Does that seem a little slow to anyone else?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You've got a 115 right? That's maybe a tad slow but not terrible. Even with optimal set up I don't see you breakin' 40 with a 19' fiberglass. What's your WOT RPM?

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the WOT RPM was about 5800 or so? And yes, its a 115, but I'm not convinced its in the best shape it could be in.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

how it's trimmed makes a difference, too. Do you have tabs? trim the motor? I get up to "top speed" then tap the trim up and watch the speed climb.
Bottom paint may cost you a point or two.
Still, its a great boat for your area.

Oh, and the broken strap--this is why I never let my helpers toss the lines in the boat when it's half up the trailer. When I'm pulling up solo, tie the bow line to the winch post. It's a sad sight, after the pop, to see it roll back and float away.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, and the broken strap--this is why I never let my helpers toss the lines in the boat when it's half up the trailer. When I'm pulling up solo, tie the bow line to the winch post. It's a sad sight, after the pop, to see it roll back and float away.

Good stuff HC. I've never broken a winch strap but I recognize that as a good piece of advice.

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had to play with the trim to hit 36, but I don't have tabs. I do have the bottom paint though and its a little rough so that may not be helping either.

Luckily the strap only snapped once the boat was fully out of the water and we were just tightening everything down.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Luckily the strap only snapped once the boat was fully out of the water and we were just tightening everything down.

If the strap breaks while winching, and the boat is not all the way on, just cut the broken strap section off the hook and tie the remaining strap to the hook with a bowline. I did this 5 years ago and it still works fine. I bought a replacement strap, but after giving it a little thought, I realized that the bowline is working fine and the only reason the strap broke was exposure to sunlight, so the only bad part of the strap was the last 18" that is now gone. My replacement is now my spare.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

If the strap breaks while winching, and the boat is not all the way on, just cut the broken strap section off the hook and tie the remaining strap to the hook with a bowline. I did this 5 years ago and it still works fine. I bought a replacement strap, but after giving it a little thought, I realized that the bowline is working fine and the only reason the strap broke was exposure to sunlight, so the only bad part of the strap was the last 18" that is now gone. My replacement is now my spare.

After I broke my winch strap I replaced it with a new one, it just never felt right I don't know if I wrapped it incorrectly or what but I wish I had thought of your idea I have much more faith in my bowlines then I do the winch strap!

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

For the past five or so years I've been using Amsteel rope. This is the most amazing winch rope I've ever used. Look at this website for the info, then buy your specific length and color on ebay. I used to use straps, but the sun deteriorated them and they always broke...not so with Amsteel.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/amsteel.htm