A few noob questions....

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
We now have the funds to put new transom, stringers, and deck in our 1986 thundercraft regency.
There are a few things i am unsure of...
1. Riveting cap back to hull... easy? how to do it?
2. Approx how many gallons of resin for everything... im thinking 8, but not sure.
3. Where i plan on buying carpet from, only sells it in 6x3 ft lenghts. Is it possible to make it look like there is no seam.. like where the sections meet?
4. How to join stringers to deck... screw?
5. (motor ?) I broke a bolt on the exhaust manifold cover replacing the ground wire, and when i took the plate off, i broke about 6 other bolts. What should i do about this?

There will probabily be many more questions to come.... :)

Thanks in advance!

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A few noob questions....

We now have the funds to put new transom, stringers, and deck in our 1986 thundercraft regency.
There are a few things i am unsure of...
1. Riveting cap back to hull... easy? how to do it?
2. Approx how many gallons of resin for everything... im thinking 8, but not sure.
3. Where i plan on buying carpet from, only sells it in 6x3 ft lenghts. Is it possible to make it look like there is no seam.. like where the sections meet?
4. How to join stringers to deck... screw?
5. (motor ?) I broke a bolt on the exhaust manifold cover replacing the ground wire, and when i took the plate off, i broke about 6 other bolts. What should i do about this?

There will probabily be many more questions to come.... :)

Thanks in advance!

1. Relatively easy. Run a bead around the bottom half with Sika-Flex or 3M 4200. I prefer Sika. Make sure your two halves are together completely. They call this a shoe box. So you want the sealant to be between the halves.
Drill and rivet with aluminum rivets. You might want to get a long handle riveter because there will be lots. 3"-4" apart all the way around. Smear the tops of your rivets with Sika when done.

2. 8-10 Gallons sounds about right. I redone my 17 footer and didn't have to do the entire stringers and it's about 5 gal. I might need a gallon or two more.

3. Your marine carpet should come in longer lengths. You don't want seams as they'll separate and lift in time.

4. Joining the deck to the stringers I use no fasteners. If they do get wet they corrode and speed up the rot process. I use structural putty as it is made of the same compound as resin. It makes the deck "one" with the stringers. I also do the same for bonding the stringers to the hull. Some people choose to use PL construction adhesive. Not me. The reason for this is when bedding the stringers down on putty made from resin and talc I can use a rounded putty knife to scrape the excess off. This leaves me with a nice little radius for the fiberglass mat to lay on. Mat will not bend on hard corners. Lay the fiberglass mat when the putty is still wet. Air rolling is a dream and you'll have a bond that is like nothing else.

5. Drill out the broken bolts and re-tap. Careful on your drilling depth. Don't make the mistake of drilling the holes the size of the bolt diameter. Use a drill and tap chart for your drill size.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just got a hella deal on marine carpet from Home Depot's web site. 20' rolls and they'll ship it to you free! I also went with their adhesive and it is REALLY good stuff.

http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-C...ation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100117949

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks spinnaker, that cleared up alot!

and thanks ez, that is a awesome deal! too bad it only ships free if you spend more then$250.... :(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Bummer. They must have changed the deal. Keep watching, I bet it comes back!

1965 eton

Recruit

so this site is really handy so far. i just got what i thought was a real deal a 11' fishing boat, with a 1965 etons viking (by chrysler) the big problem is transom needs to be redon and i dont know what to do with the gunnles they have a few cracks that look real bad. any one have any advise and where do i start the paint is somting bad, how do i strip the paint? do i sand the hull? where do i get the material i need? how do i refinish the boat when i am done? thanks for your help

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

4. Joining the deck to the stringers I use no fasteners. If they do get wet they corrode and speed up the rot process. I use structural putty as it is made of the same compound as resin. It makes the deck "one" with the stringers. I also do the same for bonding the stringers to the hull. Some people choose to use PL construction adhesive. Not me. The reason for this is when bedding the stringers down on putty made from resin and talc I can use a rounded putty knife to scrape the excess off. This leaves me with a nice little radius for the fiberglass mat to lay on. Mat will not bend on hard corners. Lay the fiberglass mat when the putty is still wet. Air rolling is a dream and you'll have a bond that is like nothing else.

Want a tip ;) Go buy a box of plastic spoons and use the edge of the spoon to make real nice smooth rounded edges when using PL.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

so this site is really handy so far. i just got what i thought was a real deal a 11' fishing boat, with a 1965 etons viking (by chrysler) the big problem is transom needs to be redon and i dont know what to do with the gunnles they have a few cracks that look real bad. any one have any advise and where do i start the paint is somting bad, how do i strip the paint? do i sand the hull? where do i get the material i need? how do i refinish the boat when i am done? thanks for your help

Welcome to iboats!! PLEASE start a new thread with your project. It keeps things easier to follow.

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Want a tip ;) Go buy a box of plastic spoons and use the edge of the spoon to make real nice smooth rounded edges when using PL.

Ya for sure! Spoons will work good. I just use the same ol' putty knife I have that I made round on the grinder. I'd be inclined to use a metal spoon and just clean it after use.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good and bad news! First the good.. i got wood! err, not that kind:p THe bad.. Know it all stepdad wouldent let me get anything put pressure treated. I left it in the garage for 10 days with the heat on, and got it dryed out a bit.

My progress so far... Stringers cut out, and glassed to hull using Bondo brand resin and cloth.. Probabily not the best choice of materials.. thank the know it all :rolleyes:

Transom cut out, Coated The hull and back of transom very well with the bondo resin.. and clamped it together and left it cure.

Now another noob question... Ok to cover transom with multiple layers of rather thin bondo cloth? or do i need to order much thicker stuff?

This project is a PITA so far...

Would post pics if i didnt break my camera :(

avimgod

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good and bad news! First the good.. i got wood! err, not that kind:p THe bad.. Know it all stepdad wouldent let me get anything put pressure treated. I left it in the garage for 10 days with the heat on, and got it dryed out a bit.

My progress so far... Stringers cut out, and glassed to hull using Bondo brand resin and cloth.. Probabily not the best choice of materials.. thank the know it all :rolleyes:

Transom cut out, Coated The hull and back of transom very well with the bondo resin.. and clamped it together and left it cure.

Now another noob question... Ok to cover transom with multiple layers of rather thin bondo cloth? or do i need to order much thicker stuff?

This project is a PITA so far...

Would post pics if i didnt break my camera :(

"Home Depot has everything you need"

DOH... when he hands you lemons squeeze them into his eyes and RUN..LOL

The resin makes it waterproof... it is the Glass that makes it strong, You need the glass, especially in the transom area... several thin layers are just as strong as one thick layer, it just takes more time... the thinner the glass, the more layers you need, the thicker glass is for faster build up...

Good luck, and hopefully you will be able to manage to keep him off your back to get it wrapped up...

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright, now is my method of glassing ok? Using paintbrush, wet area with resin, put cloth on, cover that with resin, making sure there are no air bubbles.
Probabily a dumb question, but it dosent hurt to ask :)