a few misc suzuki questions

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
please excuse my dumb questions...... im new to suzukis

i have searched and havent found anything about how to find the year. on johnson/evinrude you can decipher the model #.

is there a way to decipher it or a site with a listing for years by serial #s?
all i could find on the tag is DT150 and 11502-507438

does the oil injection system have any quirks i/we should know about?.. as far as i know he is using the oil injection, but i have read some debates in the john/evin forum on using it or disconnecting and running pre-mix.

does anyone have any links like shopevinrude.com that has exploded diagrams and parts descriptions?

i still havent heard from my cousin so i still dont know the year but from what i have found (not much) is that it is between a '86-98...... i figure as soon as he gets my messages its fixed he will be at my house.

i need the little clip that holds the control cable to the shift lever..... it was missing when i took off the hood and after i fixed the shift problem i started trying to locate the missing peice. it was in 3 pieces under the bottom carb. i rigged it up with a clip from a car...... but its not right and i would rather it be right before it left my house.

thanks for any help or advice.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: a few misc suzuki questions

i found some exploded diagrams and parts descriptions on boats.net.

the little clip is simply called a "retainer,cable"...... i checked the part # here on iboats but came up with nothing, but i could have done something wrong. the # is 19131-94503.

all this assuming its a '86 and up :redface:

i will wait to see if you guys can verify the year, or my cousin tells me what the title says, before we/he orders a book...... just wanted to say i found diagrams in case someone reads this looking for info.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 87 150 SS, that is in the shop being rebuilt right now. The oil injection, seems to not be a problem with Suzi's, my mechanic friend says they are reliable, so I have never even thought about disconnecting it. I think if everything is good, compression and wiring, and everything is good, they are a good reliable motor. Mine did burn a hole in the #3 piston, but I think it was due to bad gas that I was stupid enough to have left in the tank from the previous season. When I took it out in the Spring, without even thinking about putting fresh gas in it, I think it was separated and was getting a lot of water into the cyl. But it'll have water separator filter on it and ethanol treatment in the gas at all times.

Here is a good place to look up parts and find the year of your motor.

http://store.brownspoint.com/microfiche.asp

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a 87 150 SS, that is in the shop being rebuilt right now. The oil injection, seems to not be a problem with Suzi's, my mechanic friend says they are reliable, so I have never even thought about disconnecting it. I think if everything is good, compression and wiring, and everything is good, they are a good reliable motor. Mine did burn a hole in the #3 piston, but I think it was due to bad gas that I was stupid enough to have left in the tank from the previous season. When I took it out in the Spring, without even thinking about putting fresh gas in it, I think it was separated and was getting a lot of water into the cyl. But it'll have water separator filter on it and ethanol treatment in the gas at all times.

Here is a good place to look up parts and find the year of your motor.

http://store.brownspoint.com/microfiche.asp

thank you very much!!!

that was exactly the link what i was looking for.

and thank you for the advice about the oil system.... i told him i would find out the pros and cons of the suzuki oilers.

yep fresh fuel is a must..... i just got done putting stabilizer in my tractor, lawnmowers,etc.... im thinking about installing a outboard water/fuel separator on my old ford tractor lol.... it gets more water in the gas than all my boats put together and they are on the water :eek::D.....

i try not to use the ethanol stations....... it could be my imagination but i could have sworn i used almost twice as much fuel the day i had no other choice but ethanol fuel...... any other time i barely use any , maybe 5-6 gal, that day i used probably around 8-10 gallons.

it also looks like i missed the year... its an '85 by the #s. thats why i love this site, lots of great help and info.... and i learn something every time i get on here.

Last edited:

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Another site is www.suzukipartshouse.net. I have not ordered from them yet, but they say they have the best prices. From the items I have looked at, they are a little cheaper than Browns Point. However, I have spoken to Browns Point several times and they are very freindly and helpful on the phone...

Also, look here and you will be able to download a PDF exploded view parts catalogue for your engine...
http://www.danssouthsidemarine.com/pages/SuzukiParts

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thank you very much knightgang!!!

i appreciate the new links...... im gonna bookmark them for later.. looks like the eng isnt the only help he needs.

when i hooked up the batt i told my wife "i feel sorry for who ever has to sort out this rats nest of wires"........... turns out its me :eek:.

someone has used everything from household extension cords to itty bitty micro speaker wire :mad:........ but i have about 6-7 wiring diagram links lol.

i am amazed to say it has an old pioneer super tuner cd player right beside the steering wheel, and it still works. no cover and no sealed case for the radio......... if it were my stereo it wouldnt have lasted a week :D