A couple questions for Apple users;

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
I'm about sick of being attacked while online. My firewall has never let one get by, but it's discouraging to see the little "globe" icon blinking on the bottom of the screen. It does that when an attack has been detected, and clicking on the globe brings-up the particulars (origin IA, location, ect).<br />But it's allways an IP server where the trace ends!<br />I'm about ready to chuck this 1 year old PC to the curb, and purchase an Apple!<br />This is because I've been told they don't get attacks or viruses.<br />My questions....Is that true? They don't get bugged? Do they get backdoor Trojans, Internet worms, HD dandruff or neuralgia?<br /><br />Is it hard to locate applications for them?<br /><br />How does the costs compare as regards to software and original hardware?<br /><br />Are you happy with it?<br /><br />Thanks for your time. It's hard to take these attacks --- Especially when you cannot return fire.

salty87

Commander
Re: A couple questions for Apple users;

i'm on a pc all day at work and have had an apple at home for a few months. i'm no apple expert, but i can say that the switch isn't that bad. the apple is more user friendly, things are easier to install and maintain or update. it is true, there aren't any viruses to deal with...yet. who knows what will happen. there are word and other ms programs for apple. with pc's though you can (and have to) fine tune things more because applications are written for many different platforms...apple programs are made for apple computers so they run right from the start.<br /><br />costs, i don't know since my pc is taken care of by the company. i am happy with it but there are still some things that i have to do at the office that i haven't figured out at home. if it was my only computer, i'm sure i would have figured it all out by now.

spratt

Lieutenant

I have quite an extensive background in Macintosh computers, but it IS a bit old...I haven't worked with them in a few years. I do know that all the hackers write stuff for PC's because windows is so vulnerable. I cannot qualife this statement, but I do not know of any attacks, viruses, hacks, etc., that are malicious to Mac's...but there are also tradeoffs. In my opinion, the software written for Macintosh is way more cool, since they are out-of-the box desktop publishing machines, and MS Word has always been beter on a Mac!!! So is Word Perfect, nad all teh publishing software packages. When PC's started becoming a Multimedia machine, by adding sound cards, etc., teh Mac had been doing it for a long time already!!!<br /><br />However, I prefer a PC, to be honest.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If you play video games, you will need a PC.<br /><br />Otherwise the Apple will work fine.<br /><br />Or do what I do, run WIndows 98. Nobody trys to hack it anymore.<br /><br />Ken

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

12,<br /> Here's a pretty good feature comparison for similarly priced machines, a MAC and a DELL.<br /><br /> MAC/DELL Comparison

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Got mine 9 mnths ago.<br />Like it. Hardest part is learning a couple new icons and some terminology.<br /><br />Example: instead of a "start" button, you have a button called "finder" on the desktop. Click it and it opens up a menu so you can "find" or select the program you want to use.<br /><br />If it ever slows down a bit, I empty the "cache" (temp internet files), and away I go.<br />Bought a Mac for dummies book, all I need to know is in there.<br /><br />Couldn't figure out a few things, eventually looked in the book expecting to find a complex procedure. <br />Nope, just click "that icon", and its done.<br /><br />Originally had an Apple mouse - one button !!<br />Dumped it for a Kensington 3 button scrolling mouse, I can right click now :) <br /><br />If you buy one, I would suggest ordering from an Authorized Reseller, Apples name for a dealer. You will pay the same price, but will get a better deal because the resellers will offer freebies, such as free printers, additional memory, free shipping, and no delay shipping. If you order directly from Apple, it takes a few weeks.<br /><br />Don't get confused or turned off by the slow processor speeds.<br />Because of the way the system is designed and handles information, they run approximately 2x as fast as a pc. Example, a 1.2 GHz Apple will run as fast as a 2.4GHz pentium. Or a 1.6GHz will run like a 3.1GHz pentium.<br /><br />Operating System X - OS-X, includes Internet Explorer, and Apple's Safari as browsers.<br /><br />My biggest complaint is that the cdburner is slower. Could be the way I have it setup, dunno.<br /><br />I still run an antivirus and firewall, cause you never know. And I want to keep them out of my system so as not to spread them to others via email, etc. <br /><br />Software tends to run a bit higher, depends what you are looking for.<br /><br />If you won't be doing highend audio/vidio graphics, any of the cheaper Macs will work for you.<br /><br />Since you already have a monitor, you could pick up a macmini for $499. http://www.apple.com/macmini/ <br /><br />Heere is a reseller: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/macmini/ <br /><br />They say there are over 20,000 software items available for mac.<br /><br />Already have some pc software? Run the "Virtual PC" program, and run your pc software from within it. I have not done this, but the nephews have.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My brother is a big Mac user. He has had about 8 in the last 4 years. He does some heavy graphic video work on them. My big complaint with the Mac is Many of my brothers macs died. Mother board problems. His latest is working well. Its faster than the rest and it doesn't use a scsi hard drive, in fact most of the internals are PC hardware. <br /><br />When they stop dying, I might buy one. Until then, I still have every PC I ever bought or built to use as backup. The 233MMX PC I built in 1995 is still running great on win 95.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have heard that also Mark. One reason for not buying one when I bought a new one.<br /><br />If-if I get attacks, it is taken care of silently with no flashing anything.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> I'm about sick of being attacked while online. My firewall has never let one get by, but it's discouraging to see the little "globe" icon blinking on the bottom of the screen. It does that when an attack has been detected, and clicking on the globe brings-up the particulars (origin IA, location, ect).<br />But it's allways an IP server where the trace ends!<br />I'm about ready to chuck this 1 year old PC to the curb, and purchase an Apple!<br />This is because I've been told they don't get attacks or viruses.<br />My questions....Is that true? They don't get bugged? Do they get backdoor Trojans, Internet worms, HD dandruff or neuralgia?<br /><br />Is it hard to locate applications for them?<br /><br />How does the costs compare as regards to software and original hardware?<br /><br />Are you happy with it?<br /><br />Thanks for your time. It's hard to take these attacks --- Especially when you cannot return fire.
LOL, someone is telling you a load of crap. All computers no matter what the hardware get snooped on.

vidar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a 1992 mod mac w no antivirus or firewall and got no prob for 4 years now.... but the new pc at work i got atackt a few times alrady...