A couple of questions before I make a purchase!

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am trying to find a bigger boat to replace my outboard 19' bowrider.

Right now I'm looking at 27' Four Winns from the mid 90's that needs to be completely repowered. The interior is in decent shape, but the owner just NEGLECTED this boat and left it sitting in the marina.

I already know I'll be facing a new motor, new outdrive and I believe this one has a transmission. It currently has a 460 (Cobra Max I believe) and the owner is just looking to offload it because that motor was submerged under rain water that filled the bilge for years, yup, years.

I've been told there is NO WOOD on this boat, but I haven't really been able to confirm this. Does that sound right?

My only question is about the difficultly level in repowering this boat. I have located a rebuilt 460, but it was on a jet boat. Is this the same motor, but different drive system?

I wouldn't say that I'm scared to get into this project, more that I don't want to go into it horribly blind and ignorant.

My other option is a bayliner (which I'd rather avoid), but it has a newly rebuilt engine in it (with paperwork from the shop that did the work) and it's good to go. It wouldn't be as nice a finished project, but would likely do the trick.

So....should I just repower this FourWinns, it sure is pretty and I sure love its setup, but I don't want to find out that it's incredibly difficult. I feel as though it should be pretty straightforward, but I'm a complete noob.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: A couple of questions before I make a purchase!

Right now I'm looking at 27' Four Winns from the mid 90's that needs to be completely repowered.

The interior is in decent shape, but the owner just NEGLECTED this boat and left it sitting in the marina.

I already know I'll be facing a new motor, new outdrive and I believe this one has a transmission. It currently has a 460 (Cobra Max I believe) and the owner is just looking to offload it because that motor was submerged under rain water that filled the bilge for years, yup, years.

I've been told there is NO WOOD on this boat, but I haven't really been able to confirm this. Does that sound right?

I wouldn't say that I'm scared to get into this project, more that I don't want to go into it horribly blind and ignorant.

My other option is a bayliner (which I'd rather avoid), but it has a newly rebuilt engine in it (with paperwork from the shop that did the work) and it's good to go. It wouldn't be as nice a finished project, but would likely do the trick.

So....should I just repower this FourWinns, it sure is pretty and I sure love its setup, but I don't want to find out that it's incredibly difficult. I feel as though it should be pretty straightforward, but I'm a complete noob.

OK, rose colored glasses are off . .

1) Why are you considering a boat that needs to be re-powered when there are so many boats that are all set in that regard?

2) Yes, there is wood in that boat . . . maybe there is none left, but there was at one time.

3) There are probably better options than a blown-out FourWinns and a rebuilt Bayliner, What are your third and fourth choices?

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I haven't found much in the way of other options currently. I'm actually looking for a restoration project because I make decent money, don't have any kids and have way too much spare time. The opportunity to learn about boats while rebuilding one and giving it life seems like the way to go.

My figuring is that I could buy a boat in better condition and spend more $$$ up front. Say I buy a boat for $15k and it is a little newer or better kept. In 5 or 6 years it would need a rebuild/repower anyway. Why would I do this when I can get a boat that needs to be repowered now, pay A LOT less for the boat and have something that I can use for MANY years for the same cost as the one that might only 5 or 6 good years left in it before being in the same sort of boat.

Right now the four winns I'm looking at is nearly free. The trailer is worth more than the boat in its current condition, but I just have a hard time giving up on a boat completely when its biggest problem is that it needs a motor.

I don't have rose colored glasses on and I know that this is going to be a LOT of work (something that I am fond of anyway) and I know it won't necessarily be more economical than buying something else.

You wouldn't agree that a fully restored and repowered boat is a better deal than paying for a boat that would need the same service in the near future?

Running mid-90's 27' boat - $15k
Non-running mid-90's 27' boat - $Free.99

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Do you have any friends with boats of the size of the Four Winns? I only ask because there is a HUGE difference between a 19er and a 27er.....tow vehicle, towing, ramps, gas, etc. You don't indicate either way...Do you have experience with larger boats?:rolleyes:

Philster

Captain

"No wood" can still mean ''structural issue" and some can be worse than wood repairs... or darn near impossible.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have any friends with boats of the size of the Four Winns? I only ask because there is a HUGE difference between a 19er and a 27er.....tow vehicle, towing, ramps, gas, etc. You don't indicate either way...Do you have experience with larger boats?:rolleyes:

I don't have experience with larger boats. I have not spent my whole life around boats. I bought this 19' boat to get my feet wet sorta speak and it was a good boat. I don't like inland lakes and don't see much use for them. Now with Quagga Mussel inspections at every lake, it's even more obvious to me that I need a bigger boat.

The question I am posing here is about the difficulty in repowering a boat.

Does anyone have any links or references to information about repowering boats?

Obviously I realize that it's going to require a larger tow vehicle, storage space, it's going to take more gas, I mean this is a silly line of statements. Yeah, I know a 27' boat is larger than 19' boat.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I don't have experience with larger boats. I have not spent my whole life around boats. I bought this 19' boat to get my feet wet sorta speak and it was a good boat. I don't like inland lakes and don't see much use for them. Now with Quagga Mussel inspections at every lake, it's even more obvious to me that I need a bigger boat.

The question I am posing here is about the difficulty in repowering a boat.

Does anyone have any links or references to information about repowering boats?

Obviously I realize that it's going to require a larger tow vehicle, storage space, it's going to take more gas, I mean this is a silly line of statements. Yeah, I know a 27' boat is larger than 19' boat.

Best of Luck to ya....let us know how you fare:)

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it's really cheap what have you got to lose? Give it a shot.'m sure you can find info for what you want to do on the net.

Good Luck.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the input guys/gals (don't want to be presumptuous!). I know that it's not the kind of thing most people want to get involved in and I realize that most would probably just want to buy a boat that is fully up and running, but to me this seems like the best way to get a reliable boat.

Would it be better to say drop $5k - $8k on a boat that is running and just deal with a rebuild/repower hopefully a couple of years down the line?

Somehow I just think I would be more comfortable out in the ocean in something with a new power plant and outdrive. Maybe I'm crazy and it would be better to buy something already running/proven?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

here's the deal killer: "submerged under rain water that filled the bilge for years, yup, years."

Fresh water. years. any freezing temps in the interim?

You may find you don't have anything solid to attach your new stuff to.

and when it gets warm out, that boat is going to be stanky. Cut the cabin off and use the boat for runing eel pots.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have given up on that particular boat. Confirmation that there was or IS wood in the boat was enough for me. It's junk as far as I'm concerned. All well, the trailer was worth taking away, but I'm not even going to bother.

The next question is about the approach. Should I be looking for something I can pick up on the really cheap/free and repower it, or should I really be looking for something with hundreds of hours on it, but in better condition overall?

Your input is invaluable guys, I don't want you to think I'm not taking as much as I can get.

tpenfield

Staff member

The best thing to do is determine a budget and then see what that gets you in a 27 +/- foot boat. Most boats have wood and 15-20 years of age is the 'sweet spot' when they start showing structural issues.

you could then search some of the more popular web sites for boats in your area . . .

http://www.yachtworld.com http://www.boattraderonline.com http://www.boats.com

There are a few others that some other folks may have as well.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I like the strategy of buying a running boat but having a repower w/in the next year in the budget. That's the safest bet.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Sorry I was late to the party (see the boat in my sig). I see you decided to pass on that one. If it was the same as the one in my sig, then yeah, there's wood in it. Something else to be aware of... on this size boat, a repower is probably the least of the things you'll need to deal with if you buy one that's been neglected. Any of these boats contains all the mechanical and electrical subsystems of a house. You could spend thousands of dollars and a crazy number of man-hours getting it all working if it's been allowed to deteriorate.

I bought mine at the very end of the season in 2010 for 'only' $15K, and I got it for that price only after a survey. I knew it needed several thousand dollars' worth of work before it would be reliable, and made my take-it-or-leave-it offer on that basis. Boats that size simply don't come cheap. I don't know what price range you're operating in, but be aware of the potential pitfalls.

Good luck!

southkogs

Staff member

I like the strategy of buying a running boat but having a repower w/in the next year in the budget. That's the safest bet.

^^^^ That's a pretty good strategy^^^^

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

couldn't the expense of restoring such a boat wind up costing more than finding one in bristol condition? canvass and upholstry alone can run several many thousands...

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Buy a running boat, for a fair price, and enjoy it now. If it's the boat that works best for you, worry about the re-power some other day.

tpenfield

Staff member

Yes, and I would not convince yourself that you will need a re-power within a few years of buying a used 27 footer . . .

. . . I recall when I bought my boat, the mechanic said "you might get a few years out of the outdrive". . . . knock-on-wood, but 7 years later it is still going . . .

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

In 5 or 6 years it would need a rebuild/repower anyway.

That's a pretty big assumption. We have a lakehouse that's been in the family for 4 generations now. I'm 53 and have had a collection of boats my entire life. Average length of ownership has been 10 - 15 years and we've never had to rebuild an engine. We did just get done rebuilding the 440 in our Century 2 years ago but it was running fine before we had it done. (and it's 37 years old now) Just did it as a part of the overall boat restoration.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have wanted to venture off the coast my entire life. I grew up in Southern California and I am still here. I hope to someday have 30'-40' boat in the marina that I can take out with the wife and enjoy the weekend (we don't have and don't want kids). I'm now 30 years old and I started with a 14' aluminum boat to get the idea of boating.

I spent a few hours (maybe 20) cleaning that boat up and installed some decking, ran some electrical for controls, got the outboard running, sold it, bought a larger outboard that wasn't running, got it running and sold the entire boat, lol. I made a little $$ on that deal.

I bought an older bow rider and that's what I currently have. It needs a full restoration with stringers and deck and the whole nine yards. The motor runs great, the boat LOOKS great, but it's rotted under the deck. I got a couple of years out of it just fishing at the local lake and putting around in it. Never really demanding much out of her as I trolled around in the afternoons.

Now I feel its time to take the next step. My initial thought was to keep the bow rider, restore a boat that just needs time, because time is something that I have. I'm good with tools and love big projects. I manage large projects in my profession and find it gratifying to see things through to completion that seem monumental at the start.

After some of the insight from reading this forum and from the posters here I've decided to look for a boat that is running and I'm going to make a smaller leap.

Is a 24' boat in the $10-$12k range realistic? I feel like in this crapped out economy I should be able to get a lot of boat for that price.