a complete newbie in CO looking for advice

boulderite

Recruit
Greetings everyone,
I enjoyed reading this forum a lot, so I finally registered. :)
As a complete newbie I have to claim ignorance to most of the terminology and abbreviations, as well as what's involved in boating. But here in Colorado we have so many beautiful lakes, it's a shame not to explore them.
So I am plowing through craigslist and dealers' sites to find a boat for about $2,000 that could fit up to 5-6 people and a couple of kids. Just for fishing and sightseeing.
Reading the threads, I gathered that outboard motor is preferred to inboard for easier maintenance.
What makers are known for reliability and ease of use?
How would you go about inspecting/testing a boat (particularly if there's no water or marine shop nearby)
Thanks!

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: a complete newbie in CO looking for advice

Howdy and welcome to iboats!

Unfortunately I think 2K is a little on the low side for what you're looking for. Up here in Minnesota 2K might get you a 16 foot ok aluminum boat with a 15-25 hp outboard and a trailer that likely needs work. All of which will be in the 70's to early 80's vintage, , , that's not bad in and of itself.

That said, I think you're partially on the right track, , with the outboard part of your post. Outboards are much lighter on maintenance than inboard outboards, basically you grease any grease points once or twice a year and change the lower unit oil before winter storage. Look for a "popular" outboard, Mercury, Johnson/Evenrude. These are your mainstream motors and there's lots of parts out there.
I would say by all means go for an aluminum boat, Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner, Starcraft. With a "tin" boat you don't have to worry about rotten stringers, a rotten transome or any number of other things that can be problematic with a fiberglass boat with some age on it. Again, that said, you might find a 30 year old fiber glass boat that was taken care of like grannies car and it will be just fine.
I just believe that a tin boat is much more user freindly and forgiving. You can beach em if you want and don't have to worry about scratching the gel coat, if you have a leak it's likely a loose rivet that you can either put some silicone or other sealant over and be just fine for years.

Good luck on your search. Keep reading all of the forums here as there is TONS of info here. ;)

cr2k

Captain

If you go outboard, Yamaha is a great brand as is Merc, OMC engines are harder to find parts for and if you do go OMC (Johnson/Evenrude) STAY AWAY from an engine with VRO. Force is loved by some although I can't imagine why, they are over rated as in an 85HP will really only have maybe 70 HP. If you find an old Merc tower of power (inline 6 cly) best to get one without a distributer (really old) and the 115HP is a solid unit.

GameOnSalmon

Seaman Apprentice

Boulder,
Start looking at the Aluminum Starcrafts... There a ton in colorado and most are great deals... Your going to probably be looking for a 18.5' or 22' Holiday... U might even like a 20' Mariner though its a center console. I saw a couple of great deals on CL for 18.5 Starcraft Holidays, i am in Idaho and almost drove to South colorado to pick up a 22' Holiday which is what i Own along with a couple of others... If you find one with a Cracked block Inboard outboard, you can usually pick those up for under 1k, the cost of a good motor under $500 and if you dont have the skills to install you can get it done for under $400.. Just a thought, I am Big on the Aluminum and there are some awesome deals floating around now...

No better time to be a buyer than right now...
Robert

boulderite

Recruit

Thank you very much, gentlemen, this definitely gives me a place to start!

I would much rather get a working motor since I have absolutely no time (and very little skill) to fix or install one :)

I see a lot of Glastrons here in the area within my budget range (looks like I do have to up it a little), are they worth looking into?

cr2k, sorry for my ignorance, but what is VRO?

You have me convinced about aluminum boats. But oftentimes, the sellers don't specify it, and I am not yet savvy enough to spot the difference...:redface: Are all Starcrafts aluminum? I'm looking at this one and, while it's smaller, it appears to be a good deal http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/3000768734.html

And finally a question supplied by my wife: some of the boats have tiny bathrooms; how much of a pain is it to take care of it?

Thanks again!