A bunch of I/O haters

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A bunch of I/O haters

On the other hand, being a glorified car motor, the I/O's are very simple to repair in the driveway. I find working on the outboards sometimes confusing and not really as straighforward as I would like. Also, I use the sun pad and huge swim platform as my fishing spot, so much free movement, and specially when on the swim platform that's the full width of the boat I get real close to the water for easy retrieval. Also the I/O's seem much quieter and smoother running. There's no trying to work a fish around the bulk of a motor either.

Ian

This is the reason I went I/O. Sure the engine is a little tougher to get at because I have to open up the sundeck and climb in, but compared to my merc outboard, the parts are cheaper and the motor is WAY more straight forward. Not to mention quieter, and I dont have to mix gas. I like the look of a boat much better with the engine hidden.
Also, more often than not, it's not worth repowering an outboard. When your talking about a boat 18' and under, its more worth it to buy a whole damn boat rather than a new motor for a old boat. The cost to replace my 3.0 is CHEAP.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Only in these types of discussions does a simple 2 stroke get more complicated than a 4 stroke and the big honken motor box that takes up 1/2 the floor space in the back of the boat becomes less obtrusive than the outboard hanging off the back.

The one about the sides of an outboard boat being too tall to fish is pretty good too. I guess the Engineers of all the Coastal fishing boats really missed the boat on that design flaw. :D:D:D

QC

Supreme Mariner

It is soooooo simple. I'll say it again, Chicks don't dig OBs. If you don't have one and don't want one, then you are free from I/O hell.

BTW, does anybody know where I can get a gimbal ring, gimbal bearing, ujoints, bellows, alignment bar, coupler and an automotive 4 barrell Holley cheap?

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

You would be amazed at how much gas my 16' Baja w/115 hp Merc tower of power went through. I can take my current boat out 4 times to the Baja's 1 time.....actually the Baja would run out of gas..:D

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Very true, but on a deckboat the entire front/width of the boat is a deck/swim platform, with nothing in the way, plus the trolling motor on the bow deck helps get me around w/o firing up the OB. I agree the I/O may be simpler to work on from the standpoint of being basically a car engine.... But the outboard doesn't really seem that technical to work on... Also my Yamaha is extremely quiet... Still I do love I/O boats! Your Glastron is killer!

Thanks, I really like my boat, can't think of any short comings other then a lack of a potty! Don't get me wrong, come late fall and early spring I miss my old outboard, specially when the day time temps are warm and the night time temps are below freezing. Meaning I gotta 'winterize' my bloody boat every time I wanna go out for a late season fishing trip. Other then that, I have no regrets. I do agree still that for the OP's use, the outboard is likely a better choice.

Ian

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I hear the argument that I/O's are easier to work on all the time. Fact of the matter is that is absolutely false. They are not easier, what they are is more familiar. A 2-stroke outboard is very very simple as long as you understand how it operates. If you don't have that you will be lost which is where the misconception that outboards are hard to work on comes from.

My personal reasons for having an outboard are as follows in no particular order:

1. Easier to work on
2. Fewer parts to fail
3. No hole in transom
4. no bellows to worry about
5. No u-joints
6. can run while tilted up as long as water pickup is in the water
7. No winterizing worries
8. No worry about freezing if early spring/late fall fishing
9. More room inside the boat with the outboard

I'm sure there are more that I'm just not thinking of right now, but that gives an idea.

I do agree with some things about I/O's for certain activities. For example, the outboard is in the way a little for pleasure boating, swimming, etc.. Hauling a big tube on an I/O is easier because you can strap it to the back, and the rear pad most i/o's have these days would be nice for floating. However, for fishing I'd rather have to work a fish around an outboard than have to climb over a motor hood while working the fish. I/O's are better on fuel than 2-stroke outboards, but that benefit goes away with the newer outboards. As far as the smoke, I think everyone on here must has poorly adjusted injector pumps because none of the 2-stoke outboards I have owned have ever annoyed me either with smell or smoke cloud. Depending on the boat the I/O is most likely a bit quieter, but that isn't always the case.

If money were no object, I would probably have an outboard powered fishing boat for me and my 10 year old (newer 4 stroke of course), and a nice I/O bowrider for pleasure boating. I don't have money running out of my ears though, so I opted for the outboard bowrider as a compromise.

QC

Supreme Mariner

No bashing from me, but I think we have missed an important question . . . Budget? Some of this OB talk only applies to new engines and some of the OB talk only applies to old engines. I guess mainly fuel economy and cleanliness, but we don't have to talk about carbed 2 cycles if we are also talking new boats . . .

I agree a Yammie jet fits his needs very well. Skinny water, water sports, recreation and I guess fishing too. But it is also in the newer boat category, so this needs to be understood. BTW, have we seen the OP recently? Or are we just entertaining ourselves?

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, have we seen the OP recently? Or are we just entertaining ourselves?

Tough crowd...

A jetboat would be nice except for nearly all of the lakes have lily pads and grass everywhere, and I'm not keen on diving under the boat that much.

I've just about been convinced that an OB is the way to go. The local intel coupled with the downside of an outdrive(such as when it hits a rock) have moved me over to the practical side of engine choice. Looks is easy to get hung up on, but I can get past that for something more reliable in tough water. I've read that an OB has more give when hitting a rock and therefore is more likely to survive the encounter. True or not, it is certainly less likely to open a hole in transom should it be separated from the boat.

In addition, there do seem to be enough bowriders out there that satisfy the room and look requirements and also offer an outboard. The wife said categorically, no deck boats:( She wants it to look like something fun, not something good for fishing, or good for entertaining, but fun. So now that I've gotten it narrowed down to 18-21' OB BR...4 stroke or 2 cycle?

edit: Showed the wife a Grady 185 and she liked it. Found one on boat trader and I swear her ears skipped a few times when I told her how much they wanted...

Should note that we are looking in the less than $10k range...

Triton II

Commander

...4 stroke or 2 cycle? Should note that we are looking in the less than $10k range...

The four-strokes cost more initially and are definitely more expensive to maintain, however the fuel savings and quiet running of four-stroke outboards are what brought me to power boats after years of sailing. So if there's something within your budget with a four-stroke motor then personally, I'd take it over a two-stroke. However, two-strokes can more more "fun" if your wife likes the smell of two-strokes in the morning! Either way it'll be :cool:...

TII

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Don't count the new 2-strokes like the ETEC. If budget allows the 4-strokes or new 2 strokes would be my choice. I personally won't finance toys, so I'll have to wait until they come down in price on the used market, otherwise I'd already have one.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

The four-strokes cost more initially and are definitely more expensive to maintain, however the fuel savings and quiet running of four-stroke outboards are what brought me to power boats after years of sailing. So if there's something within your budget with a four-stroke motor then personally, I'd take it over a two-stroke. However, two-strokes can more more "fun" if your wife likes the smell of two-strokes in the morning! Either way it'll be :cool:...

TII

Just me 2 cents but figure out what you want (merc, Evinrude, etc) and then compare. Your comment is bang on but when you get into larger engines that isn't always the case.

I just bought a new 200HP 2 Stroke DFI Optimax. Compared to its 4 stroke Verado equivalent, the 2 stroke is more fuel efficient in the lower range, a little worse in the mid range, and little better in the high range. For $4K difference, it would take a lot of hours to get back my investment and then the repair costs down the road (such as supercharger, etc) are much more expensive.

I think that in the smaller motors, the 4 stroke is a better choice. I also can't speak to Evinrude/Yamaha, etc as I didn't do a thorough comparison. But I'd compare all aspects.

Now if its used 2 stroke carbed, 4 stroke hands down. (My 200 DFI gets 20-30 better fuel economy than my previous 115 carbed with another 1200lbs of boat to boot)

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

think i've settled on two things.

1. Boston Whaler Dauntless/Ventura 18'
2. Wait until the oil/fall drive prices down.

I don't see many used Venturas for sale anywhere, and most that I do see are in the teens. I also see that the whalers really hold value better than any of the IOs I've been thinking about.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

think i've settled on two things.
2. Wait until the oil/fall drive prices down.

might be different in other areas, but when gas was high the price of boats did NOT change much surprisingly. The market slowed down, people were far less likely to hop to a different boat. (so the supply was also down)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

for me an inboard is wasted space...pure and simple... I want the space inside the boat to be available all around the edge of the boat...

I dont want to climb up on top of my boat and walk at gunnel height, but I have boats for hunting and fishing and realize that boats can be used for other purposes too!!! ha ha

that said...i think if you get a long enough boat you can have an IO and still have fun and it looks cleaner than an outboard....much sexier much more fun oriented....lounging around on the back swim platform the full width of the boat....

I dont see how the depth of the water can hurt an IO unless they just wont trim higher than the bottom of the hull!! which I am thinking they would have to!!!

there are probably many different views on the pros and cons of the motor style over the other...but i cant see the shallow water argument against the IO!!!

I think for your needs there are a ton of boats with IOs that fit your bill....

just buy one big enough to still have room for your needs with the motor inside the back of the boat!!

ps one drawback of the IO is that if you get a lot of water inside the boat while moored and dont have the battery juice or an automatic bilge, i think you could possibly damage your motor....wont happen with an outboat

bob

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

...I dont see how the depth of the water can hurt an IO unless they just wont trim higher than the bottom of the hull!! which I am thinking they would have to!!!

An I/O can't be run with the outdrive up that high unless you want to trash the u-joints.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

might be different in other areas, but when gas was high the price of boats did NOT change much surprisingly. The market slowed down, people were far less likely to hop to a different boat. (so the supply was also down)

Around here, mid to large size boat prices dropped like a rock. People could not give them away or down size fast enough. They could not afford a $800 a month payment and a $200 a weekend fuel bill on top of it. The price of a 20-22' boat went up 20% in a matter of weeks.

It has been two years now and participation in the sport is noticeably down. Marinas that used to have waiting lines are now advertising slips on the radio.

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been looking at an 18-21' i/o and posted in the local fishing forum for their thoughts on the choice. 90% said to get an outboard due to the shallow nature of the gulf coast and especially the flats where we would scallop or, on rare occasion, fish. The local lakes are either too shallow, too stumpy(dammed valleys) or too grassy, to make much use of an i/o inland. I haven't gotten much feedback on the rivers, but the Suwannee is about an hour away, as well as the ocklocknee. There are several bays, but I am unsure of their depth.

Most of the replies have included getting to know the parts and insurance guys and start looking for a spare outdrive now. I'm not saying they are just outright haters, they are the local experts on the water round here, so their advice is respected. But, I don't want a center console or a fishing boat. I'm looking for a family boat for cruising, tubing, wake boarding, and fishing; in that order. Is there an outboard out there that fits these requirements, or will an i/o be fine in this area and they really are just haters?

Listen to the locals. They know a LOT about that area. Talk to many different types of boaters. Fishermen and those that go just for pleasure. Then go buy what ya want, just keep in mind thier adivce. ;)