!996 Johnson 50hp 2-stroke. No fuel through choke.

janul15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've had a real problem starting the engine for a long time. Would crank but not fire up. (sometimes would fire and start when I turned out the air/fuel mixture screw about 6 turns, but I can't run the engine long at this setting) Checked Woodruff key (good), spark (good), compression (150 psi on both cylinders). Today I thought I'd check out the primer solenoid, and found that there's no fuel coming out of the choke fuel lines, neither when the primer should be activated on the keyswitch or when the red lever is set to manual. (this lever seems very loose ). I can take this whole unit apart, but what should I look for?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does fuel come out of the primer hoses when motor is cranking?

janul15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Before I removed the primer unit , there was no fuel coming out of the primer hoses, on the manual or electric setting. Fuel is seen going into the primer inlet hose. Removed and opened up the unit. At first, no flow ( air) along the inlet hose. After removing and refitting the gasket, I have got air going through, ( from inlet hose to primer hoses) when the lever is on manual setting. Maybe fixed it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The electric primer is a valve.----It is not a pump.----When you push the key in and crank the motor , does fuel come out the little hoses.---Yes or no ?

janul15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As I said earlier, before I took off the primer unit off, no fuel was coming out of the little hoses. Now, after my little bit of work, there is fuel coming out as it should. I think the primer fault is fixed. Time to put the water muffs on and try starting and running the motor