99 Merc 75hp 3 cyl stalls in gear

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 99 Mercury 75hp cyl that is stalling when put in gear just above idle (I can put it in gear but cant throttle up). It runs just fine above ~2000 rpm. I can get it over the hump with tapping on the key (engages choke). It does it worse when the air temp is hot. No matter what it will idle forever and starts great cold or hot (engine or air). The fuel bulb goes soft after running but never flat. I am looking at either the fuel pump diaphram or something in the fuel system. But seeing the boat never did this before it was re-jetted I would like to look at carb settings before I throw money at parts. When I look at the carbs I only see one adjustment screw and do not know what it is. I do know it is not the idle. A bit about the engine, I live and run it at about 6000-9000 ft. It has been re-jetted for the high altitude and I am using a propulse adjustable prop and keep the rpm at WOT close to 5000 give or take a few 100 rpm. The boat seems to preform good, I'm still getting around 30 mph down in missouri before I moved it did around 35 mph. Thanks

Last edited:

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 99 Merc 75hp 3 cyl stalls in gear

Well I am replying to my own post for anyone to use as a reference. I think I have found the problem. My idle mixture was not adjusted properly. It would work fine out of water with muffs but in water would die. I found when I adjusted them in gear I could get the right mixture. I only needed to turn the screws out about a 1/4 of a turn to make it work great. I took it out last weekend and it only died once when I didn't connect the fuel line. It shot out of the hole like a bass boat should.