98 Mercury 150HP EFI won't start

CardsFan84

Cadet
I'm looking at buying a used outboard in case my motor is beyond repair or at least too expensive for me to repair. I have found someone selling a 98 Mercury 150 HP EFI for $1500. I have done a compression check and they seemed good. My reservations about this motor are that it hasn't run since last summer and it won't start. The gas tank and batteries were stolen and when I went to see it run the person had the fuel line stuck in a gas tank with no primer bulb. We then tried with a primer bulb but no success with that either. Are there any easy checks to do in the field to try to get it to start? Is it worth $1500 with the tilt and trim, hydraulic controls and manual jack plate even if it doesn't run?

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 98 Mercury 150HP EFI won't start

for what it is worth I have a 1993 Mercury 150hp xr6 in perfect condition and have been told it is worth 4K. Your controls, tilt and trim alone (depending on manufacturer) could be worth $1500 if they are working. It would just depend on why the motor won't start and how much you want to mess with getting it running.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

First of all a 1993 150 can be had on any Craigs List for a max of $2500 with controls...lastly the reason it won't start is that it has an electric fuel pump and if it isn;t working you won't have 39psi to fire the injectors. These motors also have a standard diaphram pump but it's the electric pump that will cause you the problem most likely in this case..You need to check for spark to eliminate that being an issue...$1500 is a good price as I would sell this motor for $2800-$3000.. Look in Phoenix market today..same motor with controls for $2000...Too far for me to go get it or I would...good luck..

trigby

Seaman Apprentice

Take it from me friend ,dont buy it without it running and being able to try it out first , just cause it has good compression it could still have several problems like water getting into the cylinders ,ect, could have several hundred dollars worth of work needed, so try it out first and not on the hose either .if it wont start then you know you already have problems with it, maybe just minor ,but still run it before you buy it, period.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If you dont hear the high pressure electric fuel pump come on with the key it likely bad and about $300. It setting the VST tank is likely full of gum due to the gas/oil mixture in it and the injectors could be dirty/stuck/stopped up. You could easily speed a $1000 on this to get it running and if ECU is bad another $1800 just for the part.