98 Kawasaki 1100 ZXI throttle/CV Carb prob

jackiebpratt

Cadet
hello all. Hope you are already up and running. I just put the zxi back together after cleaning out the gas tank. It had black gummy crud in it. Lots of it. I was hoping that was the only source of the zxi's idling problems.

All the following was done on land with a water hose:

First off, after reading about 100 threads about SeaFoam, I tried some of that yesterday and today. It might have cleaned things, but it did not fix the problem.

Now, what it does is start and run. It will stay running without having to be held at 4K or high revs, which was the case before I cleaned the tank. Yaaay. Now, it coughs or sputters briefly when i hit the throttle, then jumps. It sort of does a 'runaway'. When I do rev it up, it really 'hangs' at high RPMs, and takes quite a while to go back down to an idle, way too long.

Most times it eventually does go back down to about 2K- 1500 rpm and idle there, a little rough though. But a couple of times it instead wanted to keep revving up even higher after I let off the throttle, even after I yanked the kill lanyard, and turned the switch to 'off'. Evil possessed beatch.

Also I read on a bunch of threads that either

a) a too-lean idle setting might be a cause of this.

or

b) I have an air leak somewhere in the carb system

Can the keihin CV carb have a too lean idle? because there does not seem to be a way to change the mixture.

or if the vacuum leak in the carb is the prob, how can i find out where it us?

Thanks