98 Force 120hp lower unit removal

tetra999

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 27, 2008
Messages
4
Hello, new to iboats here Ive searched for a bit now and havent quite found my answer.

I need to remove my lower unit to have a new skeg welded on and have a few questions about removal:

Do I have to drain the gear oil first upon removle of L/U or can
I just poor it out after removle of L/U?

What gear should I place the boat in prior to removal?

I can see 5 nylock nuts the are under the L/U and hold it to the driveshaft housing, is this all I need to remove or do I need to the remove the trim-tab
to find more nuts/screws?

anyother tips tricks to removle would be great.

thanks
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 98 Force 120hp lower unit removal

Drain it first.
Forward gear works beat for removal and installation.

5 nuts
there are 2 on each side, and one up inside the trim tab pocket.
Remove the trim tab and look up there, you will see it.
 

tetra999

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 27, 2008
Messages
4
Re: 98 Force 120hp lower unit removal

thanks was able to get it removed with a little persuasion and a block of wood all went well. I actually left the oil in it as the person that is doing the welding on the skeg prefers it in there. There were no signs of oil leaking I hope thats a good thing.
 
Top