!971 Starcraft steering wheel removal.

marvinstarving

Recruit
I just ordered a Uniflex Rotary steering unit for my boat. I have been looking at the existing steering wheel for ways to remove it when my unit arrives. So far I can not figure out how to get the old wheel off, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

64osby

Admiral
Re: !971 Starcraft steering wheel removal.

grab a wheel puller at an auto parts store, should be under $20.00.

bigtrout1949

Seaman Apprentice

I have an old starcraft. If it has a plastic wheel it should have a center piece that can be carefully pried up revealing a shaft with a nut. Remove the nut and lift off the wheel. If it won't go a puller is best. Carefully try tapping on the shaft with the nut on to protect the threads. Upwards pressure and it should pop off. There should be a couple bolts through the dash to remove the steering unit. Hope this helps. P.S. If it has a cast aluminum wheel..... possibly the same procedure. It may be threaded on with a set screw??? Just a guess on the latter. Good luck!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dear Hungry in Huntington;

You have the cable/pulley steering now. Crawl on your back and remove the clip on the end of the shaft, push out the cross pin, pull off the cable thingy and pull the steering wheel and shaft assembly through the dash. I might have the cross pin and cable thingy removal steps reversed. Just a couple of screws and one nut holds the rest of the steering "column" on the dash.

You can't use the old cable to pull the new cable to the back of the because it goes through a couple of guides that are barely big enough for the old cable.

Abby