97 FORCE 90 HP Ran Hot

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1997 Force 90 HP that I just purchased for a replacement of another one that I have that I thought was bad. I took it out for a test run. It had been setting for almost 2 years. There was 1/2 tank of fuel and as I was only going for a quick run I put the boat in the water and took off. I checked the water bypass and it was pumping OK. I went for approx 400' of no wake area and kept an eye on the water stream (still pumping). When I came to the end of the no wake 6 MPH area I opened it to WOT. I do not remember looking for the water stream at this point. I did not get 300' and the motor seized and stalled out. I immediately went to neutral and pulled the cover off of the engine. The head gasket was bubbling and the block was very warm to touch (I could hold my hand on it but it was warm). The hot horn went off and I thought it was a ign on buzzer so I turned the ignition off. I let it set for a couple of minutes (trying to figure out how I was going to get back in). I decided to try the engine to see if it would turn over. It turned over fine. I cranked it a few turns to pump in a little water and then i stopped. I waited a couple of minutes and repeated the sequence. I did this about 3 times and then the 4th time it fired up and I shut it down immediately (because it was steaming out of the exhaust and the stream hole every time I had cranked it and when it started). I waited a couple of minutes and fired it again and immediately shut it down. I repeated this sequence about 4 times and then I started it and let it run until water came out the hole and then shut it down. I let it set for a couple of minutes and then started it and proceeded back to the dock. It sounded the hot horn again and I shut it down. I waited a couple of minutes and started it again limped in at a slow speed (shutting it down every 50 feet or so and starting again). I ran it steady for the last 200' or so with no problem. It did sound like marbles in a tin can but I did not really pay attention to the sound (it was a loud engine - louder than my 1991). My question is what should I do to see if it is hurt or OK or whatever??? :confused:

Bobby Powell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 97 FORCE 90 HP Ran Hot

Same thing happened to me on my 90 hp merc Sunday, except it never cut off on me, I looked back and saw steam comming out :( so I cut it off to let it cool for 30 min then putted back in...about 5 min worth. Water would intermittenly pee out and then stop...when it peed out it was scalding hot, when it didnt pee it was steaming out.<br /><br />I ran at WOT for about 4-5 mins before noticing there was no water flow. The motor was hard to start but sounded fine once it got going.<br /><br />Got home and dropped the lower unit and found the impeller crumbled into pieces with 2 blades still intact but cracked.<br /><br />I too want to know what damage might have happened to the motor. I bought a water pump rebuild kit today and will assemble it tonight. Is it safe to fire her back up and try her out again? Or will I do more damage by not haing a mechanic look at it?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any advice<br /><br />Robert L- I'm not trying to steal your topic, I posted here since you started it and it happened to me too...I would suggest you check your water pump impeller, and if hadn't replaced it in awhile then replace it now! thats my 2 cents<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />I hope we haven't done any damage to our engines, except have a bad water pump. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Bobby Powell

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No problem Bobby.<br /><br />I have not checked anything on the motor since the event. All I know is that the engine had $1200 worth of lower unit work done on it (after it hit a rock and took out the lower unit) then it set until I bought it from the company.

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CAN ANYONE HELP US HERE?????

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Try a compression test. If one or more cylinders are low, you can replace the head gasket and retry the test. If it restores acceptable compression, replace the impeller and see if it'll run. I'd run 25:1 for the first tank. While the head is off, look for scuffing or scoring of the cylinder walls. That would be unplea$ant new$.

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Fouled Plug.<br /><br /> I took a compression test today and found the top cyl 122.5 mid cyl 125 bot cyl 125.<br /><br /> Should I try Quicksilver Power tune on it??? :confused:

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Compression sounds good, you can Power Tune it later. First replace the impeller and thermostat and fire it up. The slightly richer mix is optional, but I like to treat an overheated motor gently. Good luck!

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went ahead and pulled the head. I wish that I could attach a file to show you the pictures. The middle cyl has a mark on the top side but you can not feel anything. The bottom cylinder has a big area that was cleaned and scored. You can feel it slightly when running your finger over it. If you give me your email address I can send you an Excel file with my notes and two pictures.<br />Or email me at robert@lounsbury.net and I can send them to you that way.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Robert :confused:

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Scored cylinders? Rats! Time to consider if the cost of a re-ring and bearing job is worth it to you. I hate to admit this, but I once polished out some score marks on one hole of an old OMC 40 with emery cloth and machine oil, and ran it for a season. It actually worked until the lower unit conked. I don't reccomend this in your case, I was just throwing it out there. If the lower on your Force is in good shape, go for the rebuild. And get a kicker so you don't have to limp home on a motor that's on the fritz! :)

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,<br /><br /> According to my Daughter (she works for the company that I bought the boat from) the lower unit was just replaced (they hit a rock) $1200 worth of work. I got the boat for $200. I think it is worth some investment. Can the engine be bored to an oversize and new pistons and bearings? If so how much do you think it would cost with me doing most of the work (not boring of course)?? :) If it cannot be bored then I may as well put on a new head gasket and run 25:1 mix and let it rip.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Robert :D

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forgot to mention that the motor has steel sleeves (this could be normal as I am not familiar with aluminum blocks). So instead of boring maybe it can be resleeved??<br /><br />Robert

Fouled Plug

Ensign

You compression was good, so you may consider honing the bores and using new rings. If the pistons and crank are OK, I would think the bearings/gaskets and other parts could run anywhere from 250-500 depending on what you find when you tear it down. That's just my rough estimation. Your mileage may vary. :D

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Fouled Plug,<br /><br /> It did sound like marbles in a tin can so I am not sure what the rods and crank are going to be like.<br /><br /> I will keep in touch.<br /><br />Robert

manowar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if u are rebuilding sounds like block is good a resleeve should fix it call around and see where everybody sends their powerheads well the most used machine shop try and use stock pistons aftermarket ones have gaurantees but the boat shops uasually cant do much with them double oil after rebuild retorque your head down after minimal use on water Im sure youll get it going again been in the same shoes

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Manowar. That was the one question I was waiting for an answer on (resleeving).<br /><br />Again thanks.<br /><br />Also - did anyone notice that Bobby Powell (who answered my question first) was looking for some info on a 90 HP merc with the same problem as mine????? :eek: <br /><br />Robert

Bobby Powell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE:<br /><br />Installed new impeller and gaskets. Mounted lower unit back on and fired up the motor. The water came out the pee hole sooner then it did in the past. It also has more water presure coming out of the pee hole. <br /><br />But the one thing that twisted my stomach :eek: is if I put my ear close to the block I could hear something differnt...like a muted tap. I never noticed this before but I dont think I ever put my ear this close either. The noise can't be heard when at the console or 3+ feet away from the motor(with cover off).<br /><br />When I try to pin point the noise it seems like it might be coming from the #2 cyl. This is a very faint noise. I am going to put it in the water tmw and see what happens under load. Any thoughts......or suggestions would be appreciated.<br /><br /> :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: <br />Thanks-<br />Bobby Powell

Fouled Plug

Ensign

If you can get your ear close to a running 2-stroke 90 and hear a noise, you have some killer hearing! If all else checks out, go ahead and run it and see how it goes. Good luck!

Bobby Powell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Fouledplug- I will post how she does when I geeeet back. <br /><br />Bobby<br /><br />p.s.- how hmany plugs did you foul to get your name? jk :D