97 150 Looper Fuel Spit-Back

ToddW.

Recruit
Hi everyone,
I am working on a Johnson 150 (J150NXEUC) that I re-built a couple of years ago and am still in break in. The problem I can't seem to fix is fuel spitting out of the #1 carb throat.

I decided to pull the carbs and manifolds again and examine them for mistakes or defects and while it was apart, I decided to replace the manifolds, gaskets and the number 1 reed valve cluster (even though the existing one didn't seem bad). At this point I am just trying to eliminate possibilities and the troubleshooting section of my OEM service manual only mentions reed valves and associated parts as a possible cause for fuel spit-back. I just tried to run it on a flushing device and even though it didn't start yet, when I stopped cranking, fuel spit out of the #1 carb!

Having read a little about vapor pump troubles I disconnected the hose from the pump to the #1 carb. Then when I cranked it, no fuel spit from the carb OR the vapor hose. When I reconnected the vapor hose and cranked the engine, it spit back again! Am I looking at a possible vapor pump diaphragm leak? Can anyone think of something else I should try? Thanks for any help you can give.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Is it Actually Spitting, or just dribbling out the Throat?

If you really Want to "Eliminate Possibilities" just replace the Engine with a brand New One

ToddW.

Recruit
Thanks to both of you, I think I found the trouble. Hose from the Tee (vapor pump and main bearing vent I connected to the #1 carb vent instead of inserting it in the upper hole of the air silencer. I am surprised they used a hole in the air silencer for that hose to go into instead of a nipple like a hose usually attaches to. My bad mistake though. Don't do that!
I am now leaving for a few weeks and won't be able to test run my engine until probably Sept., but I appreciate the response that made me doubt myself and double check my connections. Maybe I can put this saga behind me.