97 115hp Fast Strike- got new coils in the mail!

Jacob645

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been having problems with my motor. After warming up it would drop a cylinder or two at wot then kick back in and out sporadically. I put a new powerpack on but it didn't fix the problem. My coils had small cracks in the bottom of them so I bought a couple of new ones. I only have one day to work on it for the next two weeks, so if the coils don't fix it, where should I look next?

GatorMike

Ensign
Re: 97 115hp Fast Strike- got new coils in the mail!

I'm not a mechanic but if you are just randomly replacing things and you have done the power pack and the ignition coils, assuming you have also got good spark plug wires I think I would try the Timer Base/Trigger next.

Jacob645

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't call it randomly replacing things. Some component was failing only after the motor had been warmed up leading me to believe that something electrical was failing and causing the cylinders not to fire. I had been told that this is fairly commomn so I started there. During installation of the powerpack I noticed small cracks in the bottom of the coils. Since they are also a component that is likely to fail after heating up, I decided to replace them.

Perri

Cadet

I have been chasing a similar problem in a '96 60 HP Johnson. I am not a mechanic and I am not familar with your motor. However, I received the Johnson factory manual for my motor yesterday. The troubleshooting chart for no spark on 1 cylinder points you to the timing base first, and then the powerpack.

I have a timing base on order.