96 Yamaha 50hp 4 stroke - "milky" oil

pplkook

Cadet
All

For all intents and purposes, my 96 Yamaha 50hp 4 stroke runs fine, doesn't overheat, etc. The problem I am seeing is when I change the oil, it comes out looking like a chocolate milkshake. After the oil change, it takes a while (4 trips or so) for this to redevelop.

Any ideas? I am thinking water is getting in the oil somehow, but it can't be much volume. I am going to do a compression and leakdown test this weekend.

Thanks in advance

Jack

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 96 Yamaha 50hp 4 stroke - "milky" oil

From what I've read around here it sounds as if your lower unit seals need to be replaced. Again, I don't know crap, but after reading these type problems over and over, that's what it seems like.

pplkook

Cadet

Thanks for the reply ober. I did some searching around for an hour or so, and didn't run across that as a potential cause. Thinking of a cracked block/head or a head gasket vs. changing the lower unit seal, I will take the later. I am still scratching my head "how" the lower unit seal would allow water intrusion into the powerhead though.

Anyway, any more thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

Jack

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A lower unit problem will not put water in the crankcase. Leaky head gaskets, cracked head, and cracked block will allow intrusion. Restricted exhaust perhaps could allow this to happen.

pplkook

Cadet

Silvertip

I thought it was too good to be true. I am going to do a leakdown test this weekend. Hopefully it is only a head gasket and not a cracked head and/or block.

The only good new is that I have a donor motor, so if I need to do some rebuilding I can pull parts from it.

Once I get the results from the tests, I will post.

Thanks

Jack

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not trying to hi-jack your thread just sharing my experience and bumping it back to the top
I?ve seen this twice now in my 2002 F115 that only has 300 hours. Once about a year ago and the second time just recently. It runs great and a leak down test shows minimal leakage. 3% or less.
I usually don?t idle around much with the 115 as I have a 8 hp I use for trolling but the two times I have seen my oil go milky happens to be when I have idled it for quite a while. Coincidence? I don?t know.
After the 1st time I changed the oil and put a new t?stat in and didn?t see a problem until just a few weeks ago after doing routine maintenance including a new timing belt, t?stat and oil change.
I took it out for a test run and did idle around quite a bit although I ran it above 4000 for the last half hour.
My wot is 5900 rpm?s.
Can there be a leak between the cooling system and crank case that a leak down test doesn?t show?

I?m thinking of raising my motor up one hole and seeing if that makes a difference as I think it does sit pretty low in the water at idle.
I?m interested to see what your leak down test showed.

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Jack.
Any resolution to your water intrusion problem?
How did your leak down test go?

pplkook

Cadet

Sorry - just did the compression test this weekend, with the equipment we had we couldn't do a leakdown test - any good instructions on holding the engine at TDC in gear? Car is easy, but the prop kept wanted to turn over, so accuracy was impossible.

Anyway compression was 185-195 across all 4, but that doesn't mean much.

Idling? Yes actually, 3 of the last 4 trips I trolled all day at the lake, and two trips in the ocean where the motor idled or ran at near WOT all day. My readline is roughly 5500.

Arny

Recruit

would have changed the gasket between powerhead and rigg first of all.Also check your thermostate.