96 Wave Raider weird mud stuff

schrock86

Recruit
I just bought a 96 raider the other day. Its an 1100 triple. It had no spark when I got it and the guy I bought it from said that carb #3 was overfueling as well. I pulled the cover off of the electronics box where the CDI and all the other connectors are and it was half full of this weird mud that had the consistency of cool whip. It doesn't smell like gas or feel like oil, I am at a loss as to what it could be. I cleaned it all out and replaced the CDI unit and I now have spark. I noticed that when I crank over the engine that this weird mud comes up out of the motor where the stator wires exit. I'm planning on pulling off the front cover and seeing what lies inside. Any idea what this stuff is? Also I did a compression test and it has 120lbs on all 3 cylinders.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 96 Wave Raider weird mud stuff

Well, at least you've got decent, consistent compression in all cylinders. This mud that you speak of makes me wonder if the ski was sunk? Is it actual mud or something else?

Yes, take that front cover off. Just like you're suspecting, I'm sure this mud is in there furthering proof that the ski was sunk. I'm just guessing, though.

As far as the #3 carb "overfueling"; that could be a leaky needle and seat in that carb. The needles and seats wear and leak after a while causing problems.

You said that you've now got spark but you didn't say whether or not you've been able to start the engine. Does the mud come out of the plug holes if you crank the engine without the plugs in?

schrock86

Recruit

It starts momentarily but then dies. It looks nice and clean from what I can see thru the plug holes. I pulled the carbs off yesterday and am tempted to pull of the reed valve assembly as well. The carb throats are clean and the intake runners are clean as well. I am curious what the reed valves look like and what it looks like behind them. I didn't have time to pull the front cover off yet.

schrock86

Recruit

2012-07-29 15.23.51.jpg2012-07-29 15.24.02.jpg

I pulled the front cover off and it was packed full of the muddy stuff. Also I pulled the reed valves out and the inside of the motor is spotless. Where did this crap come from? The previous owner bought it new and swears it was never sunk.

schrock86

Recruit

I'm at a loss as to how the front cover is packed with this stuff but no where else. Also on a side note. Where does the clear tube from the gauge panel go to. Mine is just hanging loose with a black plastic tube on the end of it.