96 Johnson 112VR water pump fix - lower unit won't budge

Finally started the water pump repair on my 1996 Johnson 112VR. I bought the boat in 2001 and have not dropped the lower unit since then. Don't know if it has ever been removed, for that matter.

Anyhow, I put some penetrating oil on all the bolts a few days ago, and all 6 of them came right out with no problem (which was a good thing.) Because I have to disconnect the shift linkage, the Clymers manual told me to remove the retaining clip, which I did with no problem.

Now for the bad news. I had an extra set of hands nearby when I removed the last bolt, expecting the lower unit to detach. It didn't, even after I went around the unit (gently) with a rubber hammer to persuade it. I could see some gapping in a couple of areas, but it won't come apart.

Is the lower unit simply stuck to the upper housing because it may have never been apart, or do I not have something loosened right with the shift linkage? Should I move the shift cable back and forth? The directions say (after the retaining clip is removed) to push the shift lever toward the power head to disenage the shift shaft from the bellcrank on the port end of the engine's shift shaft. When I took the clip out, the shaft was in the reverse position.

What now, all you gearheads out there?

Gravysandwich

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 96 Johnson 112VR water pump fix - lower unit won't budge

Did you actually remove seven screws including the one holding the trim tab so you could get to the one above the trim tab?

Did you verify that the shift rod is free by moving the control handle?

Did you remove the spark plugs and turn the flywheel while gently rocking the drive?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Did you remove the bolt under the torque tab plate?

Ah...the mysterious 7th bolt that the idiotic Clymers failed to mention in their manual. Anyhow, I took this bolt out and the lower unit came out like it was supposed to.

It was pretty greasy and oily in there. Is that to be expected after so many years?

And, by the way, thanks very much for the help. I will post pictures as I complete the job.

gravysandwich

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

What were you expecting???

Having never seen one that has been sealed for 15 years, I didn't really know. But I suppose I would have been surprised if it were anything but dirty.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

gravysandwich