96 jeep cherokee tow vehicle

jrc27

Seaman
I am having trouble with light wiring.. can't get turn signals and brake lights to work together i can get get one or the other.. any similar problems?

tscott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 96 jeep cherokee tow vehicle

Most of the chrysler products mid '90s and new take special wiring harness's.You need to go to a trailer store that sells hitches and look and you will find a whole slew of different harness's for different vehicles.You can't just plug in to the wires at the lights anymore.The new harnes's have a built in relay.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have a 1996 Grand Cherokee with towing package.<br /><br />Bought a plug-on adaptor that allows a four-wire flat trailer connection. Works fine. If you already have that, then just examine your trailer wiring.

plywoody

I have a 93 Jeep Cherokee and I had to go to an auto parts store to get an adapter so that the turn signals and the stop lights are on the same circuit on the trailer--they are not on the Jeep.<br /><br />Any auto parts store carries them--I got mine at NAPA

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes because the brake/turn signals are on two different circuits, you have to have a special adapter for these vehicles.<br /><br />They sell them about anywhere anymore, even wally world has them here locally.

plywoody

If getting them at a place like Wally world, make sure you get the right one designed for your vehicle. When I got mine at NAPA, there were probably 5 or six different ones all designed for different vehicles. Not sure what the difference is, if any, but I got the right one, it wasn't very expensive, and it works.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In 1996 Jeep changed the electronics in their vehicles.There is something called a map out sensor.I think thats what it is called.It also has current sensors so you cannot use any harness except the dealer harness and adaptor.If you try to use something else not only wont it work but it will screw up all of your other electronics in the vehicle. CC (I work for Jeep)