96 Force 120 Trim and H2O pump issues

d0truji

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
2
I can hear the trim motor running when I try to trim up and down but the engine does not move. I've checked the oil level and it looks fine. Any suggestions?

Next question.

I noticed the last time I used the boat (last summer) that no water was coming out of the little hole on the side of the engine. I'm pretty new to boats but I think this is lake water that is pumped through the engine for cooling.

I'm guessing that the water pump has gone bad but I'm not sure. Any way to tell?
 

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
19,069
Re: 96 Force 120 Trim and H2O pump issues

The little hole is called the telltale and insects like to build nests in them. Sometimes you can clear them out
carefully with a piece of wire.You can carefully check cooling with your hand.with the cowl removed let the motor warm up motor as it warms carefully feel the head.It should eventually get too hot to hold
your hand on but not so hot it burns you.
That said if you don't know when the impeller was last changed you should change it.
 

RRitt

Captain
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
3,319
Re: 96 Force 120 Trim and H2O pump issues

"I can hear the trim motor running when I try to trim up and down but the engine does not move. I've checked the oil level and it looks fine. Any suggestions?"

There are two parts to a "pump". The motor creates spinning action. The pump turns the spinning action into hydraulic pressure. You probably don't have hydraulic pressure but it could be other things. First, eliminate the possibility of "other things". Have someone run the trim up while you stand in back of the boat and lift. If it does not come up then your motor is probably stuck in the down position and the bypass valves are releasing the pressure before something in the pump gets blown out. If you pump is not pumping then it could be debris or corrosion keeping one of the ball valves open. If you run transmission fluid then it could also be a rubber seal. If you are running oil for fluid then the seals shouldn't give out for a few more years. Try having someone run the switch while you push and pull the engine up/down. You might get lucky and blow some debris clear of a ball valve.

If not - then I don't know what to tell you. I have personally never taken the oildyne model apart for repair. It should be like any other pump - easy to rebuild if you are meticulous about disassembly, cleaning, and replacement. The problem is that like any other pump it will be full of small springs, ball valves, and seals that you can't get from any normal source. hopefully - it's just debris and you can blow it clean by llifting/lowering and twidling with release screw.
 

d0truji

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
2
Re: 96 Force 120 Trim and H2O pump issues

Thank you for the replies. I will purchase a kit and replace the impeller ASAP.

I will also work on the trim this weekend. Wish me luck. I will report back with any findings.
 
Top