96 Crownline 250CR Starter

Seems like my starter and/or solenoid gave up the ghost. Any ideas on what needs to be taken off to gain access?

What brands/sources are best for replacement? Anyone know the part numbers? Cost?

Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
You need to post this in the engine section. With that what engine is in it? Have a serial number of the engine, maybe the size?

Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo Penta ???

tpenfield

Staff member
Replacement parts will not be boat brand specific, but rather will be engine brand specific, as AllDodge stated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I AM purchasing this boat from a friend and at a decent price but I would like to know what maybe some problem areas with these boats. What to look for damage wise, what are some good preventative maintenance items to do and some items that should be done on a routine basis. The engine is a Mercruiser 7.4 and I believe a BravoIII outdrive.

Based on this post in another thread, this is moving to the Mercruiser forum.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks, GA. That additional post completes the picture of boat & engine.

I believe 'BigDirty' refurbed a Crowny 250 over the past year. . . . similar vintage if I recall.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Clay, it all depends on the boat design. Some you remove the 2 mounting bolts and its out. Others need the exaust manifold removed first, then the starter.
The worst case it pulling the engine to replace the starter.

thumpar

Admiral
On my Crownline there are snap in covers on the deviders under the sunpad. When I take the one next to the starter off it is right there and I can sit in the storage side to remove it. Hopefully yours is similar. When I did my seawater pump I had to remove all the supports for the sundeck to get at it.