95 Sport-Jet 90 Questions

holder1

Recruit
1.) Can these be run out of water for testing and adjustment? I've seen some frightening statements here about trying to do so. Also saw a hose configuration I assume was ment to supply engine cooling water. Any thoughts and/or advice? It's about an hour trip to any suitable ramp so anything I can do to test in shop would be wonderful.
2)The idle speed timing adjustment screw on tower shaft was loose and appears to have backed off quite a bit. I placed it where it looked like it was striking the same old dent that had formed on the engine case for now. Should I be concerned about running the engine for say 10 minutes or however long it takes me to adjust and achieve the proper idle speed advance?
3) Is it necessary to adjust ignition timing after a stator replacement? Seems like it would not since the trigger and inner hub on flywheel are the brains of the operation but just want to make sure.
4) How do you check or adjust the WOT ignition timing? I just cant imagine someone hanging on to the back of the boat crusing down the lake at about 40mph looking under the engine cowl with a timing light. The mental image is funny as hell! Is there a way to do this in shop or is it safe on trailer?
Thanks in advance for your help.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 95 Sport-Jet 90 Questions

Welcome to I boats
1 No they can not be run out of the water without a flush kit to cool them AND to kill the gas fumes in the jet drive area of the hull .
2 see number one you cant run one without a flush kit with one you can run the engine up to 1800 rpm.
3 If you moved the trigger timing adjustment , yes you must retime the motor , Set Idle at 8 to 10 deg BTDC then set WOT at 30 and leave it there , these engines are timed at WOT only.
4. Two ways to set WOT timing , first tie off to a dock , open her up and time the motor at 30 deg BTDC or you can pull the plugs ground them with a spark tester away from the plug holes , disconnect the throttle linkage from the carb cam , Go to WOT ,with the timing shaft tower, crank the motor and time at 32 deg BTDC (you need 32 due to timing loss through the ignition system )