'95 Godfrey Sanpan 2500, Chambered Toons?

StuBone278

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 21, 2008
Messages
33
Hey there yall,

First of all, are these pontoons internally separated with sealed chambers?

Just got a used 95 Godfrey Sanpan 2500 with a 90 Yamaha 2-stroke (great motor!). The problem is I seem to have a leak in the port side log. The pontoons have the nylon plugs at the top and of course, the first one I tried to unscrew sheared leaving a 5/8" hole which I was able to thread with another cap, so I'm not really going to worry too much there. There are multiple plugs along the top of the log that I really don't want to mess with as I know they will probably shear off inside as well.

Thanks!
 

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
May 15, 2011
Messages
1,895
Re: '95 Godfrey Sanpan 2500, Chambered Toons?

Round toons have chambers. They're tested by low pressure air blown into the toons, and soapy water brushed along the welds/seams looking for bubbles. And they're easily welded to stop the leaks.

U shaped toons are foam filled. You've got to be careful welding aluminum leaks on them. I think the aluminum is possibly thinner than most round toons use. Few manufacturers are using U toons any longer.
 

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Oct 2, 2010
Messages
169
Re: '95 Godfrey Sanpan 2500, Chambered Toons?

Those are 3/8" . I replaced with brass after it took hours to get the plastic one's out. Insert about 3 to 5 lbs air. Then get soapy water spray. You'll find the leak. You can use water proof rivet to stop leak if not to bad. Habor freight has a good scissor rivet gun cheap. If not, heli arch welding. Around 100. An hour here. Keep the water hose ready. U design toons are better than round but cost more to manufacture.
 
Top