95 GMC Siera with a 305

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 95 GMC pickup (1500 series) with a 305 and a 5 speed manual transmission. I am now towing heavier loads, ~5000 lbs, and my truck seems to be having a bit of trouble. I have 110,000 miles on the engine (hard miles with alot of towing). The truck is in great shape, but the engine seems tired. Would it make sense in the near future to put a rebuilt engine such as a 350 to get a little more power & torque?

D

DJ

Re: 95 GMC Siera with a 305

RJS,<br /><br />The 350 will give you more power. However, your weakest link is the transmission/clutch. Manual transmissions typically have half the tow rating of an automatic until you get into trucks with a GVW rating of over 8500#.<br /><br />I doubt your truck is rated to pull 5K-regardless of engine.

I'd also be concerned about the brakes on that rig with more than 5,000 lbs on board. Is that actual weight, loaded as towed? (Toys, coolers, water, and fuel). That weight is about where I'd start looking for a 3/4 ton rig. Tow vehicle is no place to scrimp, IMHO.

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info guys. Just finished a tow ride from hell from Long Island, NY to New Jersey. Heavy traffic/high winds. I have no problem stopping the rig, it has breaks on the trailer that work fine. Could use air shocks to beef up the suspension. I have a heavy duty clutch that I installed after I burned up my last one. With the current engine, I have very little ability to accelerate. Engine temp OK, doesn't really increase that much above normal.

D

DJ

RJS,<br /><br />If your looking for tongue weight help, I wouldn't use air shocks. The shock mountings were never designed to carry weight.<br /><br />An air bag system would work much better.<br /><br />Check Out: www.airliftcompany.com

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Consider a B & M transmission shift kit. Visit a transmisssion shop and see whats available. This will assist in your towing and help the transmission too. As for your consideration of air shocks I would tend to consider the air bags or having extra leaves installed in the rear... compare the prices. The downside of heavy springs is a rougher ride when empty.<br /><br />Bob :)

muglydog

Cadet

assuming your truck has a 3.73 rear axle, the lowest offered in 95, your truck is rated for 9000 lbs gross combined weight rating. The curb weight of your truck is over 4000 lbs. This means you are overweight by at least 1000 lbs after you fill the tank, throw in the cooler and family. Upgrade to the 350 and your GVWR goes up to 12000 lbs. Add a 4.10 rear end and the GVWR goes up to 13500 lbs. Good luck.

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for all your help :)