95 Force 70hp Rebuild

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
I find it all very interesting , let me say , my first thought was Post #3, there's a nice looking Yamaha 70 on eBay right now

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
Well, as an update, I found a used powerhead for sale on ebay in December. I rolled the dice and purchased for $450. I inspected cylinders, and pistons by way of exhaust cover and head removal and it looked great! I have since replaced gaskets,and just recently got it all back together. Waiting for better weather to roll the boat out see how (if) it runs. I will be running only full synthetic oil in this thing, and am curious to see if I can get some trouble free use out of it. If not, its been fun messing with force outboard for one year. I will let you know how it goes on start up.

Russ

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
By the way, do you all just strip the foam out of the engine hood, given that they start to crumble at this age to prevent carburetor ingestion??

Nordin

Commander
Atengnr I love your intention to go on with this Force OB.
Force/Chrysler OB are no bad engines, just old school design and easy to work on.
I think you have learned a lot with this.
About the foam inside the cowl, just take it away and then you can glue foam for car noice reduction if you want.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I took the foam out and never replaced.
Just way too many things to do.
Actually never noticed the difference.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks all. Does anyone know where Ican get a decent engine hood base rubber seal? Mine is functional but cracked.

Thanks

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all. Closing update here....Finally got the motor out on the water with the swapped powerhead. It runs spectacularly, with great starting and idling. I thought you all might find this interesting though - The old powerhead, with cracked piston rings, and one cracked piston actually did not run appreciably differently. Perhaps this motor is 1 mph faster, but that is about it!!! How the heck is that possible? As for the original reason that I tore into the motor - poor fuel economy - that is also about the same.

Anyways, I am running full synthetic evinrude injection oil at 50:1 (plus an extra ounce or two/ 6 gallons mix), and I want to see if I can get some trouble-free running time out of this motor.

Last edited: