95 150 Ocean runner mid range miss?

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 95 150 Ocean runner that starts and idles at 1200rpm out of the water. She has good hole shot, but when you get to about 3000 rpm she seems to have a miss (almost like a car diesaling) this goes on between 3000 rpm and about 4200 rpm. Once you get her above that she runs fine.
WOT is 5200-5400 depending on how I have her trimmed. When I bring her off WOT real fast she makes the same noises (diesaling?) not sure what the cause is. I would have thought if it was mechanical the noise would not go away at WOT.
Thanks
ED

angus63

Captain
Re: 95 150 Ocean runner mid range miss?

A pinging noise on rapid decceleration is normal for that v6. A noise at mid range rpm cruise is not. I would start with the basics. Compression test, spark test, wot timing check, sync and link, QL78YC plugs gapped at 0.03, fresh 87 octane fuel mixed 50:1. If these all are correct, then I would focus on the carbs for clogged mid-range jets.
Good luck

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Compression looked the same on all cylinders 110, good clean spark. timing is a little difficult since it is an optic eye. Is there any way to verify timing with out the special tool? I am double oiling - to verify VRO is working correctly- 50/1 in the tank + what ever is being used by VRO. Been thru carbs several times, replaced all float bowl gaskets, when I first opend them up, they were pickled in 2 stroke oil. Changed plugs. Would the double oiling cause the motor to be lean thru mid range?
Thanks
ED

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, you changed plugs. What plugs are you using?