'94 Yamaha 130TXRS. Trims up only when stopped/slow.

ChazzL

Seaman Apprentice
Recently topped off trim fluid when trimming was sluggish. That solved the problem. Now though, the motor trims up only when going very slow or stopped.
As soon as we get moving a little, both before and after getting on plane the motor only trims up mayby 25%. It will not go higher.
As soon as we slow down it trims up fine.
I would appreciate any advice since I am stumped.......

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
either air in system or bad seals would be my guess.
but then wat are you calling 25%?
tilt does not work but trim does under power

ChazzL

Seaman Apprentice
either air in system or bad seals would be my guess.
but then wat are you calling 25%?
tilt does not work but trim does under power
I just filled the reservoir a few days ago, and bled out all the air. Seals look ok. I will try again today. But, if either of those issues were present would it account for only not working when under way? When stopped it operates up & down completely normal. As soon as I start moving it will not go up.
By "25%" I mean that if the motor is lowered all the way down, when I press the up button the motor only raises 25-30 degrees then stops. It will go back down again, but the upwards motion always stops at that point.
I would think that if I were under way the pressure on the lower would help the upwards motion.
Hmm.... to answer my own question I think the thrust from the propellor would make it more difficult to raise the engine. So..... the tilt motor will work when boat is stopped because there's no resistance except the weight of the motor. But under way the fwd thrust of the propellor makes it harder to raise the motor. So that brings us back to your analysis "either air in system or bad seals". I think both those items are good, but I will check it out again. Otherwise, do I have a problem with the internal pump?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
the trim rams only move the motor so far, and then the tilt rams go from there to full up.
Is the 25% you mentioned the limit of the trim rams?

ChazzL

Seaman Apprentice
the trim rams only move the motor so far, and then the tilt rams go from there to full up.
Is the 25% you mentioned the limit of the trim rams?
Good question. I never realized the distinction between tile & trim. Now I know. Thanks.
I'll check this afternoon, but I suspect it is the limit of the trim rams.
It's on the trailer. I'll see if I can tell.

ChazzL

Seaman Apprentice
I inspected the seals around the rods. Everything looked clean and dry. No leaks apparent anywhere. I tried sitting on the lower unit while I raised and lowered the motor (just to add a little resistance). Made no difference. It went up and down perfectly. The neighbors must have thought I was nuts :). When I removed the fill bolt the oil started coming out. It was full. I added more oil anyway displacing some of the old. Ran it up & down 5-6 times. Removed fill bolt -still very full. I'll have it on the water in the next few days and we'll see if it continues.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
So did the trim rams stop helping about the area you are calling 25%?

Do you know the difference between the tilt and trim rams when looking at them?

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure what prevents tilting when actually moving forward. I'd try putting in in gear and see if that prevents the motor from raising up too far. My '99 Yamaha 115 will tilt all the way up while in gear. Well maybe not all the way, but I know today when my son was driving the boat and got into some shallow water and started churning mud, he hit the tilt/trim button and tilted the motor up to where the prop was completely out of the water. The motor has to work the hardest when moving forward at speed. It may be that your motor is starting to wear out. Pretty easy replacement and Amazon has great prices on tilt/trim motors. I bought one 3 years ago, and it works great.