94 WR III Project Exhaust leak

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 94 WR III Project Exhaust leak

Just to follow up, Gasket #2 was ripped up pretty good. I ended up buying a generic sheet of gasket material (same material as the original gasket) and used a razor blade to cut the gaskets out and went ahead and replaced them all on the intake side of the engine.

There is no more air leak. The ski runs more reliably now for extended amounts of time but the top end is still pretty much dead.

0-1/2 throttle is working as designed I believe but 1/2-full is no added speed.

As I have checked/changed spark plugs and all fuel lines and filters, and converted to premix, I think the last place to go is the carbureuter. Seems like the high speed jet or check valve may be gummed up.

How's this for weird...

if I go west down the waterway, and turn around making a semi quick 180 degree turn to the left in one specific part of the water, the ski runs full throttle for a few seconds before it slows down to half throttle (not just mental mind games, my dad and brother all said the same thing)

On a side note Penguin, I saw in a search you recomend cutting 1/4 inch off the spark plug wires to get a clean electrode...how do you remove the rubber boot from the wire? I'm afraid of doing it wrong and having a broken plug wire so I thought I would ask...

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't remember what the stock plug boots look like - but have a look at them.

there may be a small wire-tie around them. cut it off, and the plug boot should come off by pulling it - you might have to twist it off.

I would ditch the stock plug boots and go to an auto parts store and get some MSD or NGK plug boots - the stock ones have a funky metal clip in the boot that gets bent/broken easily and is hard to reassemble.

If you start your ski on land and it seems to run fine and rev up completely, then when you put it in the water it doesn't want to rev up - in my experience, at least - every time the plug wires need to be trimmed.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Out of water, the engine begins to miss past 1/2 throttle. It's not really a misfire but the engine almost pulses like the fuel is suddenly restricted and then let free-but it just doesn't rev past half. I will be checking the carb this week sometime.