94 WR III Project Exhaust leak

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class
*warning* long post...sorry guys! I just wanted to include the whole background of everything I have done so far to this point in time...

Greetings everyone. I recently purchased a 94 Waverunner III 700 and of course it ended up being a project because some CL sellers are sketchy and I got it on a whim without really knowing what I was looking for. I have done a lot of searching and have the Clymer's Repair Manual and I am almost there to getting this bad boy running great! Through various Google searches, iBoats kept coming up and had the best information so I am excited to be posting here and look forward to learning! I am rather mechanically inclined, but new to the PWC scene.

First of all, the previous owner had not taken great care of the ski. The fuel lines were ghetto rigged, bypassing the filter/valve and he left the reserve pick up unblocked so fuel just dumped into the hull. He said he recently rebuilt the carb so theroetically that should be OK, but I don't have much faith in his ability. The exhaust was way too smokey so I figured it was running rich. I took it out two times and the engine bogged down around half throttle; the 2nd half of the throttle cable had no respoonse. Acceleration was really slow and it was misfiring. The engine does have even compression of 150 over both.

My tactic was to address the 3 components of combustion.

I changed the spark plugs and both old plugs were black and oily and looked terrible.

I replaced all the fuel lines properly with the reserve and main pickups, the fuel valve, and replaced the fuel filter. I checked the breather hoses and check valves for function. The most important thing I did on the fuel front was convert the ski to PREMIX because the ski seemed to be burning way too much oil. Exhaust is a lot less smokey now.

The last componenet is air which is where I have questions on.

After the previous work, I took it out and it ran like a champ full throttle, good acceleration, good speed, I thought I had it 100% fixed. and it was for about 20 minutes. After running about 20 minutes the ski slowly starts to bog down and run rough and lose power. To me, this indicates an exhaust leak somewhere and the hull is slowly filling up with fumes so it can't get fresh air. After it lost power, I docked it and opened the hood and it smelled like gas. I let it air out for about 10 minutes and then it ran great again for about 15-20 minutes and repeated itself.

Does my analysis sound OK or am I missing anything?

How should I go about locating the exhaust leak without trying to rebuild everything on the exhaust end?

I am fairly certain it is an exhuast leak but I am unsure how to locate where it is.

Thanks guys! I look forward to learning a lot around here!

-Rob

If you lasted through this long post, congratulations!

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 94 WR III Project Exhaust leak

if you suspect an exhaust leak - typically your ski will bog down almost immediately - not after 15/20 minutes.

it could be a small leak, but even with that - all you have to do to verify is open the motor compartment up as soon as it bogs and see if it is filled with smoke...then concentrate on finding the leak.

to me, the carb is immediately suspect since the previous owner "rebuilt" it.

get a proper mikuni rebuild kit and rebuild it yourself - and also put a new needle and seat in it while you have it opened up.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The carburetor was my initial suspect as well. If it was the carb, wouldn't that be evident in rough running immediately as well? I am trying to figure out exactly what could be wrong to make it run great for a while, bog down, and run great again after the hood is left open a while. I wish it could be runninggreat allthe time!

On a side note the carburetor has no air filter or as the manual says "flame arrestor element". Is this a special filter or can a generic 2 cycle motor filter be used inside the housing? All I saw on here were after market performance flame arrestors.

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just a bare carb?

the "flame arrestor" is really just a plastic box with 3 metal screens inside it that bolts to the top of the carb.

a pic would help.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the plastic box on top of the carb but no metal screens. It is just an empty box on top ofthe carb. Is there not some sort of airfilter on the intake side of the engine? I just assumed like a car there would be a filter in the plastic housing.

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is what a flame arrestor looks like - the left one is for a single carb, the right is a dual carb. assuming your ski is basically stock - it should have a single carb on it.

inside the "box" are 3 metal screens stacked together that have a single rubber gasket around them.

Attachments

• fasingle.jpg
    fasingle.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1
  • fadual.jpg
    fadual.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am missing the metal screens between the plastic lids. Is that an integral part of the ski? I was unable to find just the metal screens for sale anywhere.

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

without the screens, you are effectively letting more air into the carb which changes your ratios.

you might have to re-jet to fix your problem, or find the screens, install them and verify you have stock jetting. For stock jetting, you should have a #135 main, and #115 pilot

it could cause a problem, but doesn't sound like it is the problem you are experiencing.

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the part number for the screen is:

6M6-14451-00-00

if you want a new one, I suggest calling John Highfield at Greater Yamaha.

for a used one - I'll send you an email address for a supplier

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am ok with a used screen. You can send me a PM with the supplier. Thanks for your help. I was Hoping to avoid a carb rebuild until I got some use out of it but itlooks like that may be my next step.

What would be wrong with the carb that would make it run great for a while before it runs rough? I figured if the carb was incorrect the fuel air ratio would be wrong from the start?

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I already sent the PM. He should also have the needle & seat (correct part number is 61X-14916-15-00) and he might also have a Mikuni rebuild kit, and the carb to intake manifold gasket ( 6M6-13556-A1-00 - you need 2 of them)

I'm suggesting the carb rebuild based on your comment that the previous owner had not taken care of it and had "claimed" to have rebuilt the carb.

A complete carb rebuild takes less than an hour and then you'll have some piece of mind that it was done right (if you are confident in your ability) and not cobbled together by the previous yahoo.

replace all the parts in the carb, and fuel pump - gaskets, o'rings, needle/seat, check valves and the tiny fuel filter in the fuel pump.

I'll try to located a manual for a WRIII and find the correct carb tuning as well.

These motors are very forgiving on the carb settings they'll run on - as far as cause, I'm not sure.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the manual for the WRIII and the carb I saw mikuni had a manual on their site for it. I agree now the carb may be the issue. I will test a few things tomorrow and update on what I find out. Thanks for the great help. Hopefully soon I will know enough to help someone else! Haha

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got the ski out today and it was running pretty well. It was running perfectly full throttle for a little while and then loses power after a while at the top end. O-1/2 throttle was still pretty crisp but above that had little to no added power. Sounds to me like a high speed jet is malfunctioning. Looking more and more like a a carb rebuild.

I double checked for exhaust leaks and tightened up hose clamps so i think that's notwhats happening.

It just seems odd that the issues are so sporadic. I would think it would cause consistent issues but it's about the only thing left I haven't checked out. Even today at half throttle it ran loads better than when I first got it.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One more thing- how do I know which carb I have? Mikuni super BN? standard? 38 or 44 or whatever other sizes are around. I looked but did not see any distinguishable markings.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so there was no exhaust leak...but there seems to be a massive intake leak. There is air/fuel fumes/mixture gushing out between the upper and lower intake manifolds. I mean a LOT of air here it literally felt like a fan blowing. I assume air should not be blowing out at this junction. Hopefully with a rebuilt carb and replacing the gasket between the manifolds it will run top notch. Thanks for your help.

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

upper and lower? I think I understand what you mean, but there's only 1 part that bolts to the engine cases. I haven't had my motor apart in a while so I'm going by memory and the parts diagram:

you'll need 2 intake manifold gaskets - 1 goes between the carb and cable bracket, 1 between the bracket and the manifold itself. I already gave you that number

gasket that goes between the intake manifold and reed cage assembly: 61X-13563-A1-00

gasket between the entire intake assembly and the engine cases: 61X-13566-A1-00

and while you're in there, replace the 2 gaskets under the reed cages: 61X-13621-A0-00 (you'll need 2 of these)

Chris should have all those gaskets and his prices are very good. You should be able to get all the gaskets you need, a mikuni rebuild kit, and needle & seat for about $60 or so.

You should have a superBN carb - the diaphragm cover is square (instead of round). The Mikuni kit is the same for all 38/44/46mm carbs. You can measure the BOTTOM of the carb opening to verify size - but stock on that ski was 44mm.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Awesome information! Thanks a bunch penguin!

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just for clarification, the air leak I seem to have is exiting torwards the back of the ski between parts 13 (gasket) and 3 (intake manifold)

This is in fact not supposed to be hapening, correct? I am not missing some sort of intake vent valve by design that may be blowing air that I mistake as a leak? It was just blowing a lot of air it almost makes me second guess myself that there couldnt be that much air leaking by accident. I just want to make sure before I order al the parts...

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Waverunner/1994/WRA700S - WAVERUNNER 3/INTAKE/parts.html

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

take it apart and look at it. That's the only way to be sure, but no - that's not supposed to be happening.

you'll probably find that the intake manifold gasket is torn or missing a chunk and might have been filled in with RTV gasket sealer.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will definitely be taking it apart...the only problem is that it is located at my parents beach house 3 hours away so I have to wait for the weekend :) I just wanted to go ahead and order parts so maybe I could have them by the next time I made it down.