94 SeaRay

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class
A friend of mine is looking at a 14 ft 94 Searay with a 90 horse merc inboard. Is this a jetboat?<br /> Price is around $2500. Does this sound about right? It being sold due to a divorce. He wants me to look at it, so what should I look for?

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 94 SeaRay

Try posting on the pwc board. Does sound like a jetboat, I,ve never owned one.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

jstubble

Cadet

You should get a good marine surveyor (typically $17-$20/foot) and they will go over everything - make the offer contingent upon a sea trial, and the surveyor will go over every component, electric, wiring, engine, even test mosture of the hull with a moisture reader. <br /><br />They'll take it out on a sea trial with you and the owner, and only after this thourough review is completed, you buy the boat. Otherwise, you could spend far more fixing the items that you didn't know about or see when you bought it. Then, they'll appraise value, and this is a good document to have for loan/insurance/resale purposes.

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm, no, I don't think it would be a PWC. I believe it would be under this topic because it is a Bowrider. Carries 6 people, I believe. I can remember back in the 70's that Jetboats were the "IN" thing. But, army, war, marriage, family, etc, I sort of got out of the boat owning thing. However, other than jetskis, I haven't heard much about jetboats (real life sized boats) until now

MFG197

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMHO It's a jetboat and probably should be in the PWC section if dealing with the engine and drive system, they are basically big jet skis but otherwise i would think this forum would be best for general hull questions. My 2c<br /><br />ditto on the surveyor thing

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude,From what I have been told about the SeaRay, the 94 you posted looks like the one he is thinking about. Not that particular one cuz this one is in Tex. Any words of advice on what I should look for when I see it?

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Jcrain:<br /> Dude,From what I have been told about the SeaRay, the 94 you posted looks like the one he is thinking about. Not that particular one cuz this one is in Tex. Any words of advice on what I should look for when I see it?
Jcrain,<br />Check out this link from a question eeboater asked. Should help with what to look for. Lots of suggestions on what to look,hear and smell for. Plus eeboater has a great Avatar to look at. ;) <br /> Going on a test ride...<br /><br />Also go to this site. Sure they have a TON of info you are looking for.<br /> JetBoating <br /><br />Good Luck and let us know how it worked out for ya. :D <br />BPG

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Poppa, Yup, nice avatar eeboater has.<br /> My friend got the boat. Starts right up and runs pretty good. But it seems to have a pretty high idle, is that normal?

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Jcrain,<br />At the link below is a ZIP file for the manual for a manual for a 90-120 sport jet. Should have what your looking for and more. <br /><br />Just dowload, unzip and read the PDF's<br /><br /> 90hp Merc Manual<br /><br />Let me know if it helps. Not familiar with the idle speed of the 90hp merc. :confused: <br /><br />Good Luck. :D

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the file. Now a new question/problem.... It will strart and go up to approx planing speed then it seems to lose it's bite and the motor revs. If it were a regular outboard I'd say the prop was slipping. I checked the impeller/pump and looks ok, no fishing line, rope, rocks, etc in there. Do these have a rubber hub like normal props?

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

First suggestions is find out the last time it was serviced.<br /><br />If you can do it.........do it.<br /><br />If not it would be worth taking it to a mechanic to get it checked out. <br /><br />Didn't read that you friend had it surveyed by a Mech before he bought it. Buying used always can be a risky.<br /><br />All the info I gave you came fromt the sites I gave above. I would start there.<br /><br />Since it's a jet boat, I would go to the,<br />jet boating web site I gave you earlier and join it to make use of their forum. <br /><br />You could put these questions on there and they look like they are the experts. Bet you would get a ton of answers.<br /><br />Good Luck. :D

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Poppa G, From searching around the links you provided, it looks like the "wear plate" is out of shape. Just not sure if this is a boat or engine part. I'll continue the search. BTW, if this is all that's wrong, my buddy got a sweet boat for a fair price. Maybe he'll let me play out on the lake, heh heh heh, I'll tell him I need to test it out.....

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

SWEEEEEET!<br /><br />Tell your bud congrats on the Boat!<br /><br />Summer is here, Time to have some fun! :D

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the wear plate sealed and the boat does about 40 mph. and FUN to drive. Thanks for the help<br />Jc

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Great. Post a pic when you get a chance. Love to see it.<br /><br />BPG