94 Renkin w/yamaha i/o

Dreamin of tuna

Recruit
I have a yamaha I/O with a chevy 5.7. I tried to get it up and running for the season but am still trying. I thought that it was the carb since i could get it to start and idol around 400-600 rpm but when i tryed to rev it up all it would do is back fire and stall. 1 rebuild later it still does the same thing. I had the timing checked and everything pointed to the dist. or coil packs. But after seeing the costs to replace I decided to go with a standard dist and now it runs like a champ. Now I have a new problem. . . it wont shift. If its out of gear i can get it to go into gear but cant get it to come out and havent got it to go into reverse yet. Have i bypassed something? What should i try next?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 94 Renkin w/yamaha i/o

I have a yamaha I/O with a chevy 5.7. I tried to get it up and running for the season but am still trying. I thought that it was the carb since i could get it to start and idol around 400-600 rpm but when i tryed to rev it up all it would do is back fire and stall. 1 rebuild later it still does the same thing. I had the timing checked and everything pointed to the dist. or coil packs. But after seeing the costs to replace I decided to go with a standard dist and now it runs like a champ. Now I have a new problem. . . it wont shift. If its out of gear i can get it to go into gear but cant get it to come out and havent got it to go into reverse yet. Have i bypassed something? What should i try next?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Yamahas are a rare breed, 'n guys who know 'em, are even harder to find...

I'd Guess it has some sorta shift switch to stumble the motor,... maybe not...
Have ya checked the shiftin' cables to see if they're Ok,..??

Dreamin of tuna

Recruit

Yes theres a shift interupter switch that i replaced due to corroded wires. But if i have the idol low enough shouldnt it allow it to disengage the trans?

Bondo

Staff member

Yes theres a shift interupter switch that i replaced due to corroded wires. But if i have the idol low enough shouldnt it allow it to disengage the trans?

Nope,... The motor's gotta Stumble...

Bondo

Staff member

So how can I Make it stumble or check to see why its not. Is there a way to bypass the comp and make it do so manually?

Ayuh,... You just said you replaced the shift switch,... Figure out why it ain't workin'....

On a Merc, it's connected to the (-) on the coil to kill the motor for a second...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ayuh,... You just said you replaced the shift switch,... Figure out why it ain't workin'....

On a Merc, it's connected to the (-) on the coil to kill the motor for a second...

That does not mean yours works the same way, if you have the EST distributor, it doesn't work that way, and Yamaha used another type of ignition I'm not familiar with and it may not work that way either. So be careful what you try.
You need a wiring diagram to sort it out.