94 Regal Rush start up issue

Regalrushwg

Recruit
Hey everyone, so I just bought a 94 Regal rush last week. When we tested it everything went smooth but the two times I've put it in the water I can't get it to start, or stay running. We got it going for about 5 minutes but once we shut it off we couldn't get it running again. My friends think it just needs a tune up. Is this something I can do on my own or should I bring it to a marine mechanic? I ask because I've called 15 different shops and they either don't work in that type of boat or are booked until the end of summer. I called as far as 3 hours away. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy
Doing a tune up is pretty easy, and you should be able to do it.

Lets start with telling us what motor is in the boat?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
betting that is a 90 or 95 hp 3 cylinder force powerhead on a sportjet. Finicky little motors, like to overheat, and whatever you do, do NOT start it out of the water unless you really want to blow the ride plate off the bottom of the boat.

What is the history? Did it used to run? New to you boat? Compression test?

And yeah, you won't find many mechanics that want to work on that. Really outdated and strange tech, as well as a general shortage of parts.

Regalrushwg

Recruit
It's a 90hp mercury 3 cylinder 2 stroke. So it's starts out of the water with no problems (water connected) but the minute I put it in the water and there's restriction on the impeller, the boat has trouble starting and dies out

Regalrushwg

Recruit
I bought it 2 weeks ago, and have only had two short rides 5 minutes and maybe 10 minutes. I've changed the kill switch and fixed the battery cut off. I've tried tinkering with a few things but like I said it just won't start on the water. Even the mechanic was able to get it running. Maybe a carb adjustment?