'94 Crownline 210 CCR.. Steering is stiff-then-easy-then-stiff...

Diranged

Cadet
Some of you have seen my other thread (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=418618) about restoring my dads Crownline thats been rotting away for a few years. Its back in the water and running great, but I need a bit of help.

I know that the steering on the boat has always been a little stiff ... but I swear something feels off. Its "smooth" turning the steering wheel when the motor is off and the boat is out of the water. In the water, it seems like the steering wheel gets "bogged down". Its not getting *stuck*, but it goes from easy to hard to easy to move back and forth. If I crank the wheel ALL the way to one side, it takes an enormous amount of pressure to turn it back the other way.

I've checked the fluid and its full -- but I did have to take the motor out to do some work on it. I'm wondering if theres perhaps some kind of bleeding process I need to undergo to get any air out of the lines? Or could something else be wrong?

I dont hear any grinding or loud whining.. but then again, were out on the water and the motor is running... so its pretty noisy.

Diranged

Cadet
Re: '94 Crownline 210 CCR.. Steering is stiff-then-easy-then-stiff...

Ok so I checked a few things today, and fixed *part* of the problem.

1) I had installed the batteries in a way that blocked the steering cable from having free range of motion (I didn't realize it needed it)... so when the steering mechanism tried to shift position, it would get jammed up a bit. I've fixed that, so now the steering is (at least *out of the water*) "evenly stiff" all the way through the range of motion.

It still feels too stiff though... takes some real effort to steer it.

2) I noticed in a few threads that people mentioned that the Alpha One outboard shouldnt move at all (or hardly) when you grab it and try to move it. Mine moves a good 2" right-to-left when you try to move it. I had a friend move it while I watched the cylinder on the steering mechanism and I noticed that the cylinder was actually moving in and out about 1/4-1/2". Is that normal -- or is it possible I have air in there?

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Mine does the same not running. The tab on the outdrive might need turning a bit one way or the other to help with the steering.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

belt might be slipping on the p/s pump

Diranged

Cadet

Mine does the same not running. The tab on the outdrive might need turning a bit one way or the other to help with the steering.

The tab on the outdrive? can you be more specific?

Diranged

Cadet

Also, can anyone tell me if theres a procedure for bleeding air out of the PS system? I'm thinking its likely that there is air in the system from when I disconnected the lines to pull the motor out of the boat..

45Auto

Commander

'94 Mercruiser Power Steering bleeding:

MPS.jpg