1981 Johnson 9.9

seagull1971

Recruit
My 9.9 was running like bran new until this year. It is lacking horse power and on full throttle seems to be only getting 3-4 hp. It will shut off if it is throttled down at all while in gear but it will stay going in neutral. She also seems rougher. I used new gas, replaced spark plugs, replaced fuel pump and had carbarator cleaned. I have also noticed that while she still pumps water, it does not come out as strongly as before. I also have a new gas hose so she is getting fuel. I think that fuel can be eliminated as the problem. I am thinking that it is electrical however I was told that the power pack is fine otherwise she would not start at all. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions. I was told that it could be the coil which is something to do with electrical?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1981 Johnson 9.9

Coil could be dead, bad wire, bad wiring. Check for spark on both plug wires, sounds likes it down a cylinder. If you have spark on both, check compression. If you don`t have spark on both swap the coils around and retest.

seagull1971

Recruit

I have spark on both plugs as we checked this today. I am now re-thinking if it may be fuel. No matter how much we primed and pulled her over, the plugs were dry which was not the case before. There is fuel coming from the hose and going to the pump but it seems that it is not getting into the cyliner somehow as the plugs should not be dry but they are bone dry. Today, she almost started and gave a few spits but that was it. After that we could not start her. The carbarator was cleaned but I still wonder if there is dirt there somehow. When I did have her started recently, I was wondering if she was only firing on one cylinder.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Probably, re clean it and put a kit in if you haven't already, you didn't pull the welch plug at the top if you just cleaned it without a kit.

Did you screw in the idle screw and back it out 1 1/2 turns to try it?

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you get the plug wires swapped? They will spit and chuff if they are reversed. Bad Power packs are an issue also.