94 115 HP Johnson Wot cant get timing to 28 degreesadva

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
115 Johnson J115TLARC. So I have been trying to get my 115 timing properly set. I warmed it up and then pulled the plugs. Used a 7/16 gap tester on cylinder one and via Joe Reeves method set WOT to 24 degrees BTC. I should note that I used a piston stop tool and my pointer was on. With a friend running the boat and the cowling off I used the timing light and could not advance the motor past 32/33 degrees BTDC. I could get the pick up timing to 4 Dehrees BTC like the manual says but if we went WOT and then backed it off to idle the pickup timing would hang up around 7 or 8 degrees BTC. If I pressed on the advance lever back to where the idle pickup screw was than it would go back to 4 Degrees. I have no more threads left on the WOT advance threaded rod. What did I miss? Could my timer base be the cause? Should note the linc and sink all seems correct to the OMC manual

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Used a 7/16 gap tester on cylinder one and via Joe Reeves method set WOT to 24 degrees BTC. I should note that I used a piston stop tool and my pointer was on. With a friend running the boat and the cowling off I used the timing light and could not advance the motor past 32/33 degrees BTDC.

Why in the world would you be trying to reach 32/33 degrees BTDC? The service manual maximum timing for your model should be written as 28 degrees BDTC in the FACTORY service manual. Going beyond this will put holes in your piston/break rings. I seriously doubt OMC changed the timing of that crossflow motor versus mine in 1990. Please check the OMC service manual specs on this, not Clymer or Seloc manuals.

I could get the pick up timing to 4 Dehrees BTC like the manual says but if we went WOT and then backed it off to idle the pickup timing would hang up around 7 or 8 degrees BTC. If I pressed on the advance lever back to where the idle pickup screw was than it would go back to 4 Degrees. I have no more threads left on the WOT advance threaded rod. What did I miss? Could my timer base be the cause? Should note the linc and sink all seems correct to the OMC manual

First, you need to check your throttle and idle timing work. This likely sounds like you have too much slop/slack in your throttle cable. When warmed up with the control throttle at the min setting, if you can go back to the engine and push the throttle arm to the min idle stop and the RPMs drop, you have insufficient throttle cable preload.

Second, please explain in detail what steps you took to verify the idle timing and the carb linkage was set correctly?

Giving a summary of what was or wasn't done isn't quite as helpful as one might think,

Last edited:

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
28 degrees is what i was aiming for. I could not get it to advance past about 32 degrees BTDC at WOT. I went as far advanced as the timer base would allow. As for the linc in sync I just checked the the butterfly valves were opening together. I know those screws were not messed with. The only thing I messed with was the follower cam pick up screw. With an amplifier attached to the top carb valve, pushed fwd into gear, the amplifier began to move the cam follower and embossed mark were about a 1/16 " off. So I moved it about a 1/16th to where the embossed mark and follower aligned. Would moving the the cam pick up screw cause my problem? I was just trying to verify the timing was set correct as I believe some of the adjustments may have been messed with. However last year occasionally it would die as i came into the dock and shifted into reverse. Along with that I had what I felt was high fuel usage. Neighbor has an 85 115 Johnson and uses far less fuel than myself. Not sure if it was timing related but I think It may be. Obviously dont want to burn up the powerhead. As for pickup timing not returning to 4 degrees BTC I bet it is the cable adjustment. I will take a look.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??-----If you are aiming for 28 degrees , then why do you say you could not get past about 32 degrees ?----I think something is mis-understood on your procedure.

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I should state that at WOT the timing pointer is showing 32 Degrees BTDC. I could not adjust it to 28 degrees as the manual states. I could however move it even more retard then 32 degrees. I know something is not right but cant figure out what.

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Racerone, I have not had the chance to put it on the water to check each cylinder with the timing light from idle to WOT. What would be the cause if I had weak spark?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I believe it is time to contact a recognized shop.------If you can not adjust timing to 28 degrees you risk serious damage to your motor.----Without seeing the motor I can not offer further assistance.

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
"I could not adjust it to 28 degrees as the manual states. I could however move it even more retard then 32 degrees."
That is extremely confusing. if you can retard timing, you will get it to 28 degrees. 28 is less than 32. its not going to get you to the number 28 by going higher than 32. you need to go 4 numbers lower, or am I missing something? Sorry if I sound rude, just trying to understand. the timer base can only advance so far. in this case, that's a good thing.